Sponsored:
Las Vegas, Nevada – A UNLV history professor placed part of the blame of the Las Vegas mass shootings on President Donald Trump in a video that was captured in the classroom. (Video below)
Assistant professor Tessa Winkelmann made comments to her History 407 class Thursday afternoon four days after gunman Stephen Paddock killed 58 people by shooting from his hotel room into a music concert.
“Right when he got elected, I told my classes, three semesters ago, that some of us won’t be affected by this presidency, but others are going to die,” Winkelmann said in the video. “Other people will die because of this.”
“He’s threatened to declare violence against North Korea and other places,” Winkelmann says in the video. “And words, especially if they’re coming from someone who is the president, have consequences.”
“I don’t know that these events would have inevitably happened whether or not he got elected, but he has rhetorical powers every president has to encourage or to discourage (violence). So far all he’s done is to encourage violence.”
Winkelmann apologized Friday in an email to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
“This week has been very difficult for members of our community, and we have allowed students space in our classes to discuss how they have been affected and to openly convey their feelings,” Winkelmann wrote.
“I regret that my comments caused more pain during this difficult time. Emotions were running high and I wish I would have been more thoughtful in how I directed the conversation.”
UNLV issued a statement according to the newspaper that said Winkelmann’s comments were insensitive.
“While we respect academic freedom in the classroom and the right to free speech, we believe the comments were insensitive, especially given the series of events this week and the healing process that has begun in the community,” UNLV spokesman Tony Allen said.
You can see the video of the professor below: