• Search

Woman Held Hostage In Missouri Basement Escapes, Says Captor Repeatedly Whipped, Raped Her

Excelsior Springs, MO – Police have arrested a man who held a woman captive in his home for a month and repeatedly raped her until she managed to escape and run for help.

Charging documents filed in Clay County Circuit Court on Oct. 11 showed that police were called to a residence in the 300-block of Old Orchard Avenue on Oct. 7 after a woman wearing a dog collar and latex lingerie banged on a neighbor’s front door screaming for help, The Kansas City Star reported.

Police said the woman was wearing a metal collar with a padlock on the front and was wrapped in a trash bag when they arrived on the scene.

Officers removed the lock which was making it difficult for the woman to breathe, The Kansas City Star reported.

The woman told officers she had been pick up by 39-year-old Timothy M. Haslett on Prospect Avenue in Kansas City in early September.

She told investigators that Haslett took her back to his home where he had a specially-designed room in the basement where he held her hostage, The Kansas City Star reported.

The victim told police that her captor had raped her repeatedly and “whipped” her while he held her in the basement.

“He kept her restrained in handcuffs on her wrists and ankles. She was able to get free when he took his child to school,” an Excelsior Springs detective wrote in the probable cause statement.

The victim was transported to the hospital and from the ambulance, she pointed out Haslett’s home where she’d been held to the officers, The Kansas City Star reported.

Police said that statements made by the victim led investigators to believe that there might be other victims inside the house, but a search of the property later that day found no other victims.

Haslett was arrested and has been charged by Clay County prosecutors with first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, and second-degree assault, according to The Kansas City Star.

The Clay County Sheriff’s Office posted a message to social media on Oct. 11 that explained why it hadn’t released more details to the public.

“It will take time to interview people involved. It will take time to use that information to see if the suspect in this case is connected to any more crimes,” the post read.

“And when those things have happened, there will still be very little law enforcement can share until the case goes to court,” the post continued. “Because if you want justice for victims and for people who have broken the law, that’s what has to happen.”

Haslett’s house has been boarded up and fenced in as the investigation into his crimes continues, The Kansas City Sar reported.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."