• Search

Wendy’s Arson Suspect May Have Been Rayshard Brooks’ Girlfriend

Atlanta, GA – An arrest warrant has been issued for Natalie White for the arson of the Wendy’s where 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks was shot, and investigators believe the suspect may have been the dead man’s girlfriend.

Bodycam video showed Brooks mentioned White to police multiple times the night he died while officers were talking to him before they administered the field sobriety test, WXIA reported.

“I just wanted me a burger,” Brooks told the officers.

“But no margaritas at all today?” the officer asked.

“Just a daiquiri,” the driver replied.

“Just a daiquiri?” the officer asked.

“Yes,” Brooks said.

“Alright,” the officer replied in the video.

“For Natalie White,” Brooks continued. “That’s my girlfriend.”

Later in the video, he suggests to the officers that can they let him go and he’ll walk over to his girlfriend’s house nearby, FOX News reported.

“You know, Natalie White, she’s my girlfriend. She left. I said, ‘Baby, I’ll get Wendy’s and then I’ll go back …'” Brooks said in the video.

Atlanta Fire Sergeant Cortez Stafford announced Saturday that an arrest warrant had been issued for a 29-year-old woman of the same name, WXIA reported.

Neither the fire department nor Brooks’ family have confirmed if the suspected arsonist and the Natalie White mentioned by Brooks are the same woman.

Brooks was married to Tomika, with whom he had three children, when he died, TMZ reported.

Police released surveillance video of the suspected arsonist at a press conference on June 16 as they attempted to identify the woman, WXIA reported.

White is one of multiple suspects under investigation for the fire that burned the Wendy’s to the ground the night after Brooks was fatally shot by Atlanta police.

The shooting occurred after officers responded to a call for a man asleep in the Wendy’s drive-thru late on June 12.

Officers administered a field sobriety test and established probable cause to arrest Brooks, but when they went to put the suspect in handcuffs, the previously-calm man attacked them.

Brooks stole Atlanta Police Officer Devin Brosnan’s Taser, tased the officer, and then fled with the weapon in hand.

Former Atlanta Police Officer Garrett Rolfe pursued Brooks on foot with his own Taser in hand, until Brooks turned back and fired his Taser at Officer Rolfe.

That’s when Officer Rolfe dropped his Taser, drew his pistol, and fatally shot Brooks.

On June 17, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard held a press conference to announce he was charging former Officer Rolfe with murder for the fatal shooting of Brooks after Brooks discharged Officer Brosnan’s Taser at Officer Rolfe.

The district attorney also announced at his press conference on June 17 that Officer Brosnan was facing three felony charges.

But Howard bragged that Officer Brosnan had turned state’s witness to testify against former Officer Rolfe and implied the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) had blessed the charges.

Neither was true.

Officer Brosnan’s attorney quickly announced his client had not agreed to work with the prosecutor against his former fellow officer and the GBI released a statement that said they hadn’t even completed their investigation into the incident.

Don Samuel, one of Officer Brosnan’s attorneys, said that his client’s actions that night had been “exemplary” and that the district attorney’s office hadn’t even bothered to take him up on the offer to review Officer Brosnan’s medical records from after the incident, the New York Post reported.

“Devin ends up taking out his Taser and yelling at him to ‘stop fighting, stop fighting,’” Samuel said. “Mr. Brooks grabbed the Taser from him and shoots… Devin gets shot with the Taser.”

“He then falls over and lands on his head on the pavement and gets a concussion,” the attorney added.

Samuel also disputed the district attorney’s assertions that Officer Brosnan had committed aggravated assault on Brooks after he was shot, the New York Post reported.

At his charging press conference, the district attorney said that Officer Brosnan had stood on Brooks and that former Officer Rolfe had kicked the wounded man after he shot him.

But Samuel said his client, who had just received a concussion, didn’t even realize Brooks was shot when he “put his foot on the arm to make sure he didn’t have access to a weapon.”

“It’s not an assault. It’s a man suffering from a concussion,” the attorney said.

He told CNN his client suffered a number of other injuries that had been documented at the hospital and in pictures.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."