• Search

‘We At War,’ DoorDash Driver Arrested For Tampering With Cop’s Food Order

Brooklyn, NY – A known gang member working as a DoorDash deliveryman while out on parole for shooting a police officer posted footage showing him tampering with an officer’s food order last week.

“You know I’m about to violate the s–t out of this order, 61st Precinct. I dreamed of moments like this,” 30-year-old Lance Layne captioned a photo of the order in a Facebook post on July 12, according to the New York Post.

The 30-year-old Bloods gang member also allegedly tucked a note inside the officer’s Chipotle meal, prosecutors said.

“Hope that d—k taste good b—h,” the message read.

The order was dropped off at the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) 61st Precinct between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m., WNBC reported.

The officer ended up throwing the food away, according to police.

The deliveryman allegedly commented on his own Facebook post, claiming to have been the person who placed the note in the officer’s order.

“This is a Facebook public announcement, I don’t violate people food like that … that was personal. we at war,” he wrote, according to WNBC.

DoorDash was quick to fire Layne and denounced his actions in a statement to WNBC.

“This behavior is absolutely unacceptable and has no place in our community,” DoorDash said. “We take the trust and respect of merchants, customers, and Dashers extremely seriously. We have deactivated the Dasher and have reached out to the customer involved.”

Chipotle said they also checked to make sure Layne’s account has been deactivated by DoorDash, calling the act “inexcusable,” WNBC reported.

“The actions displayed by this third-party delivery driver are inexcusable, and we’ve ensured our delivery partner has deactivated the individual’s account,” Chipotle Chief Corporate Affairs Officer Laurie Schalow told NBC News.

Layne was subsequently arrested on charges of criminal tampering, tampering of consumer product, and attempted assault on a peace officer, according to the New York Post.

He was taken before New York County Criminal Court Judge Claudia Daniels-DePeyster on Friday.

The known gang member told reporters he hadn’t actually tampered with the officer’s food and that the whole situation was just a “prank,” the New York Post reported.

“They ain’t got no note, no nothing,” Layne said as officers led him out of the 61st Precinct. “It was a prank that went out of hand.”

Layne, who is on parole for the April 2011 shooting of a police officer, was held without bail for violating the conditions of his 2019 release from prison, according to the paper.

He served three years of a 10-year sentence after being convicted of aggravated assault in the attack on the officer, but also scored himself a $33,000 payout from the city for the same incident.

Layne claimed he accidentally shot himself during the 2011 encounter and alleged police assaulted him and interrogated him before they transported him to the hospital for treatment of his gunshot wound, the New York Post reported.

He further claimed the officers coerced a confession out of him and hurled racial slurs at him during the ordeal.

Layne originally sued New York City for millions of dollars, but was given the $33,000 settlement in 2012.

The city did not admit any liability or fault for the incident.

Two of the officers involved in Layne’s 2011 arrest were given 10-day suspensions and remedial medical training for failing to render aid to the suspect more quickly, the New York Post reported.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."