Sacramento, CA – On Friday, lawyers for an antifa group claimed that police and neo-Nazis were colluding to prosecute stabbing victims. The media took the story and ran with it, failing to point out that none of the claims hold up against a simple fact check.
The story stems from charges related to a massive brawl between actual white supremacists and antifa groups which occurred in Sacramento in 2016.
White supremacist groups including the Traditionalist Worker Party and Golden State Solidarity held a gathering “to make a statement about the precarious situation our race is in,” according to LA Times.
Antifa group “By Any Means Necessary” (BAMN) showed up with Antifa Sacramento and started attacking the Nazis.
At least five people were stabbed from both sides, nine people were hospitalized, and many more were injured.
“They attacked each other without hesitation,” witness Chandra Zafra told LA Times at the time. “It was a war zone.”
After the incident, people on the antifa side refused to cooperate with law enforcement while the neo-Nazis, witnesses, and video from the incident all indicated that the hate groups were initially attacked by antifa.
California Highway Patrol conducted a full investigation where they reviewed hundreds of hours of surveillance video, and completed a 2,000 page report asking prosecutors to charge 106 people involved in the riot, with charges including 514 misdemeanors and 68 felonies. The prosecutors declined to file most of those charges, based on what they they claimed was insufficient evidence.
Charges were later filed against three attackers on the antifa side. Porfirio Paz was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and participating in a riot, and Michael Williams and BAMN leader Yvette Felarca were charged with assault with a deadly weapon, participating in a riot, and inciting a riot, according to LA Times.
Despite a refusal from antifa to cooperate with the investigation, William Planer, a member of the Traditionalist Worker Party, was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon and participation in a riot.
That’s not the story that the media reported on Friday.
Attorneys for the antifa defendants filed a motion on Friday which Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office calls a complete fabrication, and the media ran with it.
“Every assertion made in defendants’ motion is either inaccurate or fabricated,” Deputy DA Patris Coleman wrote to Sacramento Bee (Sacramento Bee accurately reported on the story.)
Many media outlets referred to Felarca simply as a teacher (she is a middle school teacher,) and painted the picture of a victim. They ignored that she has gone on Fox News and openly claimed involvement in leading the antifa attack at a Milo Yiannopoulos speaking event in Berkeley.
She was also captured on video in Sacramento launching an attack on a suspected white supremacist as he held his hands up.
You can see video of the attack in Sacramento and her interview with Tucker Carlson below:
Yvette Felarca was ordered to pay over $11,000 in damages to former Berkeley College Republicans President Troy Worden last month, after she maliciously obtained a court order to keep him at least 100 yards away from her, Berkeleyside reported. That would have allowed Felarca to prevent Worden from coming on campus to exercise his free speech rights.
Felarca also faces charges from Sep. 26, 2017, when she was arrested for rioting, obstruction and battery while she protested at the Patriot Prayer demonstration at the UC Berkeley campus, Berkeleyside reported.
The antifa attorney also pointed to a phone call where a CHP investigator told a Traditionalist Worker Party member that activists may have requested a copy of their permit, which would have revealed the white supremacist’s identity. The officer allegedly told him that he was going to request that his name be redacted until the investigation was complete. Media outlets reported the attorney’s claims that this was proof of collusion.
After the motion was filed on Friday, Yvette Felarca declared victory.
“We continue to scare this judge. He didn’t feel he could risk the wrath of the movement, so he booted it to another judge,” Felarca told supporters according to Sacramento Bee. “Short of winning, this is the next best thing. We didn’t lose it.”