• Search

VIDEO: Woman Hurls Molotov Cocktail At Four NYPD Officers Sitting In Marked Van

Brooklyn, NY – A 27-year-old woman has been arrested for attempting to firebomb a New York Police Department (NYPD) van occupied by four officers early on May 30 (video below).

Cell phone footage showed Samantha Shader as she hurled a Molotov cocktail at the parked patrol vehicle near Washington Avenue and Eastern Parkway, The New York Times reported.

“Get out of my mother–king way!” she screamed in the video.

Although she lit the tissue paper fuse, it burned out before it ignited the explosives inside the container, according to the New York Daily News.

The officers managed to scramble out of the vehicle as the bottle hit and shattered two of the van windows, according to the New York Daily News.

As they went to take Samantha Shader into custody, she allegedly bit one of the officers on the leg, the Daily Mail reported.

Her sister, 21-year-old Darian Shader, was arrested for interfering with police as they tried to arrest Samantha Shader, according to The New York Times.

Darien Shader was released without bail on a charge of obstruction of justice, the New York Daily News reported.

She left the courthouse wearing a hazmat suit and got into a vehicle driven by her mother.

The NYPD initially charged Samantha Shader with four counts of attempted murder, weapons possession, attempted arson, and reckless endangerment, the New York Daily News reported.

She was subsequently charged federally with attempting to damage or destroy law enforcement vehicles, according to the New York Daily News.

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Samantha Shader confessed to having thrown the firebomb at police, the New York Daily News reported.

If convicted on the federal count, Samantha Shader faces a mandatory minimum of five years in prison and a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

It is unclear whether or not prosecutors plan to pursue the attempted murder charge against her.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said that “countless” officers were injured during the riots that weekend, the Daily Mail reported.

“There was no discrimination as to whether it was a white officer, black officer, male officer or female officer,” Commissioner Shea said. “[They targeted] anyone in a uniform.”

According to The New York Times, Samantha Shader was arrested by the New York State Police in Ulster County in 2017 on charges of menacing with a weapon and assault.

An unidentified 18-year-old woman was also arrested on the same charges.

The sisters were among the more than 3,000 rioters who wreaked havoc in Brooklyn overnight on Friday, the Daily Mail reported.

Attacks on law enforcement officers have become commonplace throughout the country in the wake of the May 25 in-custody death of 46-year-old George Floyd.

Floyd was pronounced dead at a hospital 90 minutes after he was arrested by Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin and three other officers.

Former Officer Chauvin was arrested on May 29 and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in connection with Floyd’s death during his arrest. His charges have since been upgraded to second-degree murder.

On June 3, former Minneapolis Police Officers Tou Thao, Thomas Lane, and J. Alexander Kueng were charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder for their role in Floyd’s arrest.

The officers had responded to a call about a counterfeit $20 that Floyd had allegedly used to make a purchase at a deli.

Store employees pointed out the suspect to police and they arrested him.

The complaint used to charge Chauvin said Floyd actively resisted arrest and then fought being put in the back of a police car once he had been handcuffed.

Viral cell phone video showed then-Officer Chauvin and three other officers holding Floyd on the ground.

The video showed Officer Chauvin held his knee on Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes, during which time the suspect lost consciousness.

Chauvin remained on Floyd’s neck for almost three minutes after he was unresponsive.

Floyd was pronounced dead 90 minutes later at the hospital.

After three days of violent riots and looting that left Minneapolis and its sister city, St. Paul, in flames, the state investigative agency announced it making an arrest.

Chauvin was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension four days after the incident and held on a $500,000 bond, Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington announced, according to WCCO.

According to charging documents, the medical examiner’s preliminary report found no physical evidence that Floyd had suffered from asphyxiation or strangulation at the hands of the Minneapolis police.

The preliminary autopsy findings indicated Floyd had died from a combination of his underlying medical problems and possible substances.

“The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death,” according to the complaint.

But veteran forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden told reporters at the Floyd family press conference that his independent autopsy determined that the man had died of asphyxiation much in the same way Eric Garner died from a choke hold in New York in 2014, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

The Eric Garner autopsy report showed no damage to any area of his neck, and it was determined that he died of a medical emergency induced by officers who were arresting him.

But the final autopsy findings released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office hours later confirmed that Floyd had died from heart failure.

“Cause of death: Cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression,” Floyd’s autopsy said. “Manner of death: Homicide.”

“How injury occurred: Decedent experienced a cardiopulmonary arrest while being restrained by law enforcement officer(s),” the report continued. “Other significant conditions: Arteriosclerotic and hypertensive heart disease; fentanyl intoxication; recent methamphetamine use.”

The toxicology results showing fentanyl and methamphetamine directly contradicted assertions by the forensic pathologist that Floyd’s family’s attorneys hired to dispute the initial medical examiner’s report.

And a postmortem nasal swab showed that Floyd tested positive SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, according to KSTP. He had previously tested positive for COVID-19 in April 3.

Protests erupted in the Twin Cities after Floyd’s death, leaving both Minneapolis and the state’s capital of St. Paul burned, looted, and destroyed.

Rioters overran and torched the Minneapolis Police Department’s 3rd Precinct where the officers accused of Floyd’s homicide were assigned.

Protests spread across the United States, and became very violent in major cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Portland, Oakland, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Washington, DC.

Watch the incident unfold in the video below. Warning – Graphic Content and Obscene Language:

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."