Chicago, IL – Violent mobs attacked Chicago police officers in their vehicles in two separate incidents last night and at least one officer was injured in the chaos (video below).
The first incident occurred on July 3 at the Six Corners intersection in Portage Park when a violent crowd attacked a Chicago police SUV, WBBM reported.
Police said the officer was patrolling the area when someone threw something at his marked police vehicle and smashed the windshield.
The officer called for backup and when additional officers arrive, the crowd erupted into chaos, WBBM reported.
Cell phone videos of the attack posted to social media showed the crowd surrounding police vehicle and kicking and banging on them.
Some of the mob even jumped on the police vehicles and pounded on the windshields, the videos showed.
One officer was hurt during the melee and had to be transported to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, WBBM reported.
Chicago police have not yet made any arrests in connection with that incident.
The second incident occurred shortly after midnight on July 4, FOX News reported.
Cell phone video posted by Town Hall showed a crowd in the Loop advancing on police vehicles that had their lights on as the officers driving slowly backed away.
Video showed fireworks were being shot directly at the police vehicles stopped in traffic, and several of the incendiary devices struck their intended targets and exploded on the hoods or roofs of patrol vehicles.
BREAKING: Crowd of people in the Loop attack Chicago police after some civilian cars do donuts in an intersection. Crowd shoots fireworks and physical hit CPD vehicles. pic.twitter.com/cDTqExvgLz
— Julio Rosas (@Julio_Rosas11) July 4, 2022
No injuries were reported during the second attack on law enforcement officers and no arrests were made in connection with the incident, according to police.
With yet another day left in the holiday weekend, 54 people had been shot – seven of them fatally – between Friday night and Monday morning, FOX News reported.
The first 22 people were shot during a 20-hour period on July 1.
City officials pleaded with residents to stop the mayhem at a press conference on Friday night, FOX News reported.
“There’s no reason why everyone can’t enjoy the holiday and every event safely. Parents, please, please know where your children are,” Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said. “Don’t leave them to government to be the parents of your kids. We need you, parents, please, to help us make sure your young people are safe.”
Watch the first incident unfold in the video below: