• Search

VIDEO: Teens Fatally Punch, Spit On 59-Year-Old Who Wouldn’t Give Them $1

John Weed was knocked unconscious during the unprovoked attack and later died at a Baltimore hospital.

Frederick, MD – A 59-year-old man was beaten to death by two teens on Friday, after the man refused to give the boys a $1 bill (video below).

The attack occurred at the Great Frederick Fair, after 59-year-old John Weed was approached by two brothers, ages 15 and 16, WRC reported.

Prosecutors said that Weed, who was with his family, refused to comply with the teens’ request for a $1 bill, so the boys “harassed and followed” him, WJZ reported.

“There was some sort of dialogue that ensued after that that made it a negative situation,” Frederick County State’s Attorney Charlie Smith said.

That’s when the 16-year-old took a swing and punched Weed in the back of his head, according to Smith.

“There was a number of minutes that elapsed after that at which point in time…the younger 15-year-old came flying through, lands a deadly blow to the victim,” the prosecutor said, according to WJZ.

The second hit, which was captured on video, caused Weed to lose consciousness and collapse to the ground.

One of the suspects then walked over and spit on him, the video showed.

The victim, who never regained consciousness, was rushed to Shock Trauma in Baltimore, where he was later pronounced dead.

“Our lives have been changed forever [due] to the unprovoked vicious attack these individuals inflicted on my brother John Weed,” Lori Hawkins said on behalf of her family, according to the Carroll County Times. “He was my rock.”

“We just wanted to spend time together as a family at the fair, but due to this horrible act of unprovoked violence my brother is now dead,” Hawkins said. “There is no excuse for what these individuals have done.”

Smith said that Weed was a “complete stranger” to the boys, and called the attack “completely random,” WJZ reported.

They have both been charged with second-degree assault, and the 15-year-old has also been charged with reckless endangerment and first-degree assault.

On Monday, the suspects’ father begged the judge to release them from jail pending their trials.

“My son is not an animal,” he said of his 15-year-old, according to WJZ. “He’s never been in trouble. He made a mistake.”

The father said he “feels for” Weed’s family, but that the boys don’t deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison.

The plea failed to sway the judge, who ordered that both suspects be held in jail until their next hearing on Oct. 22, WJZ reported.

Smith said that he is reviewing several more videos of the attack, and that additional suspects may be identified.

The cases against the brothers may be moved into adult court, and prosecutors are also considering filing a manslaughter charge against the 15-year-old.

Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins called the attack “despicable,” WJZ reported.

“It tells me a lot about how these young people view this person by the very fact after they had him on the ground they taunted and they spit on him,” Sheriff Jenkins explained. “That to me shows hatred and disgust and despise.”

Sheriff Jenkins said that both teens should face “the maximum” penalty if convicted, WRC reported.

“They made an adult decision by doing what they did, and ended up with a man losing his life,” he said.

A fundraising campaign established to help Weed’s family in the wake of their loss has raised over $9,000.

You can watch cell phone footage of the teens’ attack on Weed in the video below. WARNING – Graphic Content:

Holly Matkin - September Tue, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."