• Search

VIDEO: Bodycam Released From Walter Wallace Shooting Which Sparked Riots

Philadelphia, PA – Authorities released 911 call recordings and bodycam video for the first time ever on Wednesday that showed what led up to the fatal shooting of 27-year-old Walter Wallace in Philadelphia (video below).

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the city had released the bodycam footage for the first time in the interest of transparency and to hold city institutions accountable, the Philly Voice reported.

The audio and video that were released painted a very different picture of what happened from the narrative about the badly-handled mental health crisis portrayed by the media that led to riots nationwide.

The incident began at approximately 3:45 p.m. on Oct. 26 when neighbors and Wallace’s family members began calling 911 and asking for police to respond to the 6100-block of Locust Street.

Audio recordings from dispatch showed that Wallace’s next door neighbor was the first to call and said the people next door were fighting and that someone had asked her to “call the cops right away.”

At the exact same time, Wallace’s sister called 911 and said “he’s over there hitting my mother and father” and that the police had already responded to the residence once but hadn’t done anything to stop him, according to the recordings.

His sister told the 911 operator that she didn’t think her brother was armed when they asked, but she warned them he had a history of violence.

“No, but he’s on probation and everything. He got a case for being violent and everything. He got a whole record,” she told the dispatcher.

She also asked for an ambulance for her mother and father, the audio recording showed.

It’s important to note that neither called mentioned that Wallace was suffering from a mental health emergency and the only request that was made for medical attention was by his sister to assist his parents.

Bodycam video from the two officers who responded to the scene showed that a moment after they arrived at the home, Wallace came out of the front door with a long, silver-bladed knife in his right hand.

Officers told Wallace to put the knife down multiple times, but he completely ignored them and began walking down the sidewalk toward one of the officers, the video showed.

Then bodycam video showed he walked between parked cars and into the middle of the street where he switched directions and began walking toward the other officer.

One of the officer yelled at witnesses to back up as Wallace’s mother ran from another house a few doors up and grabbed ahold of her son in the street.

He brushed her off and continued to cross the street, then switched direction again and headed back toward the other officer, the video showed.

Wallace’s mother continued to shadow him down the sidewalk and then the knife-wielding man quickly cut back into the street.

On the video, officers could be heard telling Wallace at least 11 more times to put down the knife before they opened fire on him, WPVI reported.

Police officials said that each officer fired at least seven shots at Wallace but they have not revealed how many times the armed man was struck.

Bodycam video showed Wallace’s mother became hysterical and threw her cell phone at one of the officers.

Then she attacked him as she screamed, the video showed.

Bodycam showed the officers struggled to secure the scene as neighbors approached Wallace on the ground.

In the video, one of the officer asked another officer to secure the knife at the scene as more people arrived.

Officers rushed Wallace to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

A police radio transmission showed that officers were warned they were responding to a domestic disturbance and told to use caution, WPVI reported.

Neither officer who responded to the scene was equipped with a Taser because Philadelphia police haven’t received funding to give the less-lethal weapons to every officer.

Riots broke out in Philadelphia and then spread into numerous other major cities as social media rumors and incorrect media reports said Wallace’s family had called 911 for mental health assistance and had gotten a police response instead.

However, the audio recordings of the 911 calls to police proved that was not the case.

Wallace’s family has called for an end to the violent protests and said they don’t want the officers who shot him to be charged with murder.

“And here’s why, here’s why: they were improperly trained and did not have the proper equipment by which to effectuate their job,” the family’s attorney, Shaka Johnson, told reporters.

On Nov. 4, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw identified the officers involved as 25-year-old Philadelphia Police Officer Sean Matarazzo and 26-year-old Philadelphia Police Officer Thomas Munz, KYW reported.

Officer Munz joined the police force in 2017 and Officer Matarazzo was sworn in a year later in 2018.

Johnson said the Wallace family would be filing a wrongful death suit, KYW reported.

“The man was suffering. He was on doctor’s care. He was on a regiment of lithium, etc., and the police were here earlier that day,” the attorney explained.

Watch the incident unfold in the video below. The bodycam starts at about the 3:08 mark. WARNING – Graphic Content and Obscene Language:

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."