• Search

VIDEO: Bodycam Captures Grocery Store Gunfight With Man Who Later Shot U.S. Marshal

Baltimore, MD – The Baltimore Police Department (BPD) has released bodycam footage from a grocery store shootout between officers and a store security guard late last month.

The shooter, later identified as 34-year-old Dontae Green, ultimately escaped from the store and remained on the run for several days.

When Baltimore police and members of the U.S. Marshals Regional Fugitive Task Force went to arrest him at a residence on Feb. 4, he opened fire on them from a closet, hitting a U.S. Marshal in the torso.

Green was killed during the shootout.

The U.S. Marshal was placed on life support in intensive care after undergoing surgery, and has since been released from the hospital, WMAR reported.

On Thursday, BPD released bodycam footage from first shootout with Green, which took place at the Compare Foods grocery store at the Alameda Marketplace at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 30, The Baltimore Sun reported.

“He was enraged that his pay was incorrect,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said at the time. “That’s the genesis for this complaint, and that’s the genesis for the call to the officers about an armed suspect inside of the store.”

BPD Officer Daniel Jensen and Officer Wesley Rosenberger responded to the scene and almost immediately came into contact with Green, who allegedly pulled out a 9mm handgun and began firing at them, WBAL reported.

After coming under fire, Officer Rosenberger shot back at Green and tried to exit the building through an emergency door, but it wouldn’t open, BPD Public Integrity Bureau Deputy Commissioner Brian Nadeau said in the video release.

As gunfire rang out behind him, the officer ran up a flight of stairs to the manager’s office, where he “continued to engage the suspect,” Commissioner Nadeau said.

Officer Jensen was able to run out the front of the store during the gunfire and radioed for help, bodycam footage showed.

A 20-year-old store employee was shot in the arm during the shootout, but investigators were not immediately certain who fired the round that hit the employee, The Baltimore Sun reported.

The employee’s wounds were not life-threatening, and neither of the officers were injured during the attack, Commissioner Harrison said.

Green managed to escape out a back door, according to police.

A warrant for his arrest was subsequently issued for 19 offenses in connection with the grocery store shooting, to include armed robbery, firearms violations, and attempted murder, WBFF reported.

At approximately 6:45 a.m. on Feb. 4, Baltimore police and members of the U.S. Marshals Regional Fugitive Task Force responded to a residence in the 1400-block of Mount Street to serve the warrant on Green, according to the news outlet.

They announced themselves and knocked on the door, then made entry into the house, according to police.

As they went inside, Green allegedly opened fire, hitting one of the marshals in the abdomen, WBFF reported.

U.S. Marshals Capital Area Regional Task Force Commander Don Snider did not release the wounded marshal’s name, but said he is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and a member of the special operations task force, CNN reported.

Commander Snider said the gunman was hiding in a closet when he began shooting at police, according to CNN.

Green was killed when the officers returned fire.

The Baltimore Police Department is conducting the ongoing investigation into the officer-involved shooting, CNN reported.

Watch the incident unfold in the video below. Warning – Graphic Content:

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."