• Search

VIDEO: Armed Sexual Assault Suspect Fatally Shot By Police

Ogden, UT – The Weber County Sheriff’s Office released bodycam video of the February officer-involved fatal shooting of an armed sexual assault suspect (video below).

The incident began on Feb. 6 in the 100-block of 26th Street when police responded to call about a woman who had been sexually assaulted and robbed, the Deseret News reported.

Her car had also been stolen by her attacker.

Police spotted the stolen vehicle about three-and-a-half hours later near 30th Street and Washington Boulevard and stopped it near a gas station.

Officers then approached the stolen vehicle with their weapons drawn, the Deseret News reported.

But the driver – later identified as 28-year-old Dino Raul Morales – fled on foot.

Officers chased Morales through an alley and into a residential neighborhood, the Deseret News reported.

Bodycam video showed the officers followed footprints in the snow to an open garage in the 2900-block of Grant Avenue.

The video showed an officer looked inside the door of the shed-like garage and walked around to the back of it.

“I’ve got footsteps, still heading west,” the officers told the dispatcher in the video.

The officer approached a red pickup truck that was parked inside the structure, the video showed.

“Show me your hands! Show me your hands!” the officer yelled, pointing his weapon at the pickup truck.

Bodycam showed Morales popped his head up in the back of the truck and pretended he belonged there.

“What do you mean?” the suspect asked. “This is my house, dude.”

The officer ordered Morales to show his hands but the suspect ignored the command and kept his right hand concealed behind him as he stood up, the video showed.

“He’s got a gun,” the officer told the dispatcher.

Bodycam showed Morales had the silver handgun in his right hand as he straddled the back of the truck and sat down.

“Drop the [expletive] gun,” the officer ordered him.

“Nope,” Morales replied twice in the video.

That’s when officers opened fire on Morales, the video showed.

Officers fired nine shots and Morales fell back into the bed of the pickup truck, the Deseret News reported.

Officers surrounded the truck and ordered the wounded man to drop his gun, but got no response.

Eventually, officers held Morales, who appeared to have lost consciousness, at gunpoint while officers jumped in the back of the truck to remove his weapon and render aid, bodycam video showed.

Morales died on scene.

Police recovered a Ruger .380 handgun with 15 rounds in it next to Morales, the Deseret News reported.

Morales was a convicted felon who was restricted from possessing a handgun, according to law enforcement.

Police said he was from California and hadn’t been in Utah for very long, the Deseret News reported.

Two Ogden police officers were placed on paid administrative leave as is protocol for all officer-involved shootings.

The Weber County Force Investigation Team’s investigation of the shooting was ongoing, the Deseret News reported.

That team’s report will be forwarded to the Weber County Attorney’s Office for review and a decision about possible charges.

Watch the incident unfold in the video below. WARNING – Graphic Content and Obscene Language:

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."