• Search

Vandal Rips Down Memorial Wreath For Murdered Detective

Security footage captured an image of the suspect who tore down a law enforcement memorial wreath on Saturday.

Cincinnati, OH – Cincinnati police are searching for the vandal who ripped down a memorial wreath honoring murdered Clermont County Sheriff’s Detective William Brewer, according to the department.

The blue and black mourning wreath was displayed outside the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) building on Central Parkway in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, the Cincinnati Police Department (CPD) tweeted on Monday morning.

The tweet also contained a clear image of the suspect, which was captured by a security camera.

“The person in the attached photo [tore] down the mourning wreath honoring murdered Clermont County Deputy Brewer from the front of the FOP Building on Central Parkway in OTR,” the post read, adding that a CPD detective “would love to speak with him.”

FOP spokesperson Dan Hils said that the wreath was originally hung in honor of Colerain Police Officer Dale Woods, who was fatally struck by a truck in January, as he was directing traffic at a crash scene, WKRC reported.

The wreath was intended to remain on display in honor of Det. Brewer, Hils said.

Det. Brewer, a 20-year veteran of the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office, was murdered in the line of duty on Saturday, after 23-year-old Wade Edward Winn called 911 to report that his home was being burglarized, Clermont County Chief Criminal Prosecutor Darren Miller said, according to WCPO.

Police responded to the residence, but Winn refused to come outside.

Winn then threatened to commit suicide, at which point the officers realized he had weapons, Miller explained.

“The defendant feigned a suicide and because Deputy Bill Brewer and Lt. Nick DeRose are law enforcement officers and had taken an oath to protect and serve — they entered the defendant’s apartment on what they believed to be an effort to render aid and potentially save the defendant’s life,” he explained.

Winn then fired “multiple rounds” through his apartment walls, wounding Det. Brewer and Clermont County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Nick DeRose.

Det. Brewer was transported to Mercy Hospital in Anderson, where he was pronounced dead, WLWT reported.

He leaves behind his wife and their five-year-old son.

Lt. DeRose was also transported to the hospital, where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the ankle and released.

Winn taken into custody after an 11-hour standoff, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

He was arraigned on charges of attempted aggravated murder and aggravated murder on Monday, and his bond has been set at $10 million, WCPO reported.

Miller said that the state intends to seek the death penalty.

Holly Matkin - February Mon, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."