• Search

U.S. Marshal Beaten By Bat-Wielding Rioter Outside Portland Federal Courthouse

Portland, OR – A U.S. marshal was attacked from behind and beaten in the neck, back, and shoulder by a baseball-wielding rioter outside the federal courthouse on July 27.

His alleged attacker, 24-year-old Dakotah Ray Horton, was apprehended by police early Tuesday morning, according to FOX News.

Horton was carrying a loaded 9mm handgun in a waist holster at the time of his arrest, police said.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorney Leah Bolstad, Horton did not have a concealed carry permit, The Oregonian reported.

The brutal attack occurred outside the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse at approximately 1:20 a.m. on July 27.

Federal offers were attempting to defend the federal building against rioters armed with shields, hockey sticks, and bats following weeks of nightly attacks, Deputy U.S. Marshal Christopher Tamayo wrote in a federal affidavit, according to FOX News.

The mob hurled explosives, glass bottles, and various other projectiles at the officers who tried to disperse the crowd.

Others used power tools in an attempt to cut through the protective barrier fence that had been erected around the building, The Oregonian reported.

As officers were taking one member of the group into custody, Horton allegedly began beating a U.S. marshal in the neck, shoulder, and back with a wooden bat while the marshal was kneeling on the ground, Marshal Tamayo said.

The federal officer suffered bruising as a result of the attack.

According to the affidavit, the violent assault was captured on a live video feed, The Oregonian reported.

The suspect escaped that night, but the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS) subsequently issued a bulletin that included images of his clothing and face, FOX News reported.

A U.S marshal spotted Horton leaving an apartment shortly before midnight on Monday, and noted that the clothing he was wearing matched those worn by the suspect in the bulletin photos, according to court documents.

Horton got into a vehicle that was later stopped by police, FOX News reported.

The armed suspect was arrested on a single charge of assault on a federal officer, The Oregonian reported.

During a court hearing on Wednesday, Horton’s public defender argued that his client hadn’t actually used the firearm he was carrying, and noted that it had been legally purchased.

He told the court that Horton has worked for food service businesses like McDonald’s and Applebee’s in the past.

U.S. Magistrate Judge John Jelderks ordered that Horton remain in custody while the case is pending due to his “incredibly poor and violent judgement,” The Oregonian reported.

“Assaulting a federal officer with a dangerous weapon is a serious violent crime,” U.S. Attorney Billy Williams said, according to KATU. “I applaud the tenacity of the deputy U.S. Marshals who, for multiple weeks, worked tirelessly to identify this defendant.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."