• Search

Toddler Quinton Simon’s Mother Indicted On 19 Counts In Connection With His Murder

Chatham County, GA – The 22-year-year-old mother of Quinton Simon, the 20-month-old boy whose bones were recovered from a local landfill more than a month after she reported him missing, has been indicted on 19 counts in connection with Quinton’s murder.

Investigators located human remains at the Superior Landfill on Nov. 18 after a five-week search police described as “more grueling than anyone could have imagined,” FOX News reported.

Leilani Simon was arrested in for her son’s death on Nov. 21.

Chatham County District Attorney Shalena Cook-Jones announced on Wednesday that Simon has been indicted on charges of malice murder, concealing the death of another, two counts of felony murder, false report of a crime, and 14 counts of making a false statement, WAGA reported.

New details regarding the circumstances of Quinton’s horrific death were revealed in the eight-page indictment.

Investigators said they believe Simon killed Quinton “on or about” Oct. 5 – the same day she called 911 claiming her son mysteriously disappeared from her home on Buckhalter Road sometime after 6 a.m., FOX News reported.

The indictments alleged Simon assaulted her 20-month-old son with an unknown object, casing him “cruel and excessive physical pain,” WAGA reported.

In addition to allegedly lying to police about her son being “abducted by an unknown intruder,” Simon also claimed that the reason she left her house the morning of Oct. 5 was to pick up Orajel from a friend during a meet-up at a gas station, according to court documents.

Investigators said they believe Simon was actually dumping her dead son’s body into a dumpster located in the Azalea Mobile Home Plaza, the indictment read.

She allegedly repeated the same lies when speaking to police on at least two more occasions over the course of the following week, and at one point told investigators that it was actually her boyfriend, Daniel Youngkin, who left the house the morning when Quinton disappeared, WAGA reported.

The indictment alleged Simon also lied to investigators about her use of illegal drugs.

“As your district attorney I realize that this matter is really important to our community and also to the inquiring minds both here and beyond our community that want to know what happened to baby Quinton and how it happened,” Cook-Jones said during a press conference, according to the New York Post.

“That curiosity is not lost on me, however, there’s more evidence that may be revealed during the course of this investigation and I say that to remind you all that this is an ongoing criminal investigation,” she added.

Jones said her office is focusing all of their resources to making sure the case is “properly handled from beginning to end,” the New York Post reported.

“We all know that justice takes time,” Jones said, “but it should be swift and sure and fair.”

The massive search for Quinton began on Oct. 5, after Simon placed a call to 911, according to FOX News.

“Complainant advised her 1-year-old son is missing,” a 911 dispatcher relayed to officers, according to court documents. “She woke up, her door was open. Advised he’s unable to open a door. Thinks someone came in and took him.”

The Chatham County Police Department (CCPD) and the FBI revealed on Oct. 12 that they did not believe the boy was still alive.

“We are saddened to report that CCPD and the FBI have notified Quinton Simon’s family that we believe he is deceased,” the CCPD said in a tweet that night. “We have named his mother, Leilani Simon, as the prime suspect in his disappearance and death. But no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed.”

Investigators said during a subsequent press conference that they believe Quinton’s body was discarded in a “specific dumpster” that was ultimately taken to the landfill, FOX News reported.

“We did not want to end up at this point, but the evidence has taken us here,” FBI Special Agent Will Clark said on Oct. 18. “We have evidence, specific evidence, that leads us to this large property.”

The CCPD also revealed that investigators had no reason to believe the toddler was kidnapped or abducted, WTOC reported.

As investigators continued the “grueling and hazardous” task of sifting through the landfill for her child’s remains, Simon and her mother, Billie Joe Howell, headed over to Sting Ray’s bar on Tybee Island on Oct. 18 and began downing pricey shots and flirting with bar staff, FOX News reported.

“They were having a great time, like they didn’t have a care in the world,” one server told the New York Post. “They were drinking Patrón shots in the deck area, being loud and laughing. It’s almost like they were trying to draw attention to themselves.”

A member of the wait staff said the duo met up with friends and racked up a tab of more than $300 during their rowdy outing, WSAV reported.

“They had shots, [were] flirty and demanded a waiter’s number,” one staffer alleged. “People were getting upset. They just wanted them out of here. It was really strange.”

Days later, Simon complained to WTOC that protesters had been rallying outside her home and leaving signs on a memorial for her son calling her a “Baby Killer.”

“It makes it hard to even process what’s going around us,” she told the news outlet. “We get to the point where we have to barricade our own home in order to even feel safe in our backyard because we can’t even process what is happening everywhere else, or even have the time to do so.”

“I can’t even walk out and appreciate my own son’s memorial or put down gifts that I got for him. I can’t even go out there and do that without harassment and negligence and everything,” she added. “It’s just devastating to see that this is how the outside world reacts.”

Simon declared at the time that she wasn’t going anywhere, despite being named as the prime – and only – suspect in her son’s death.

“I’m here. I’ve been here every day since this,” she told WTOC. “I’m not running and I’m not hiding.”

“And if something does come up that I am at fault,” she added, “I will take myself to that police station.”

“And I will walk with her,” Howell chimed in.

Simon said at the time that she was becoming more and more angry each day police failed to find her son.

“Happy and alive. We want him back in our arms, holding us. That’s what we want,” she told WTOC. “We’re just hoping that he’s in somebody’s house and they’re feeding him and maybe they wanted a baby or couldn’t have a baby. Maybe they thought they were his savior. That’s our best hope at this point.”

Simon further said she wanted “justice” for her son.

“All we want is justice for Quinton Simon,” she told WTOC. “We want justice for Quinton… We want answers, just like everybody else does.”

Howell, who has a lengthy arrest history, has described her family as “dysfunctional” in the past, and compared them to the Showtime drama series, “Shameless,” the New York Post reported.

Howell’s son – Quinton’s uncle – is currently behind bars for manslaughter and robbery charges.

Another of his uncles is serving a 45-year sentence in connection with a man’s death, according to the New York Post.

According to court documents filed by Child Protective Services (CPS) in Chatham County, Simon “is a chronic, unrehabilitated substance abuser of cocaine and cannabis,” The Sun reported.

She also allegedly admitted to using cocaine during pregnancy, and tested positive for the drug when she gave birth to one of her children, according to CPS.

Simon’s other two children – a six-month-old and a three-year-old – were placed into foster care after she was named as the prime suspect in Quinton’s death, The Sun reported.

All three of the children have different fathers, according to the news outlet.

Quinton’s biological father, 24-year-old Henry “Bubba” Moss said Simon initially told police that he had kidnapped their son from her home during the night, even though he hadn’t seen the little boy in months, the Daily Mail reported.

“Leilani’s tried to blame it on me,” Moss told the news outlet.

He said police had not yet announced that they believed Quinton was dead when they showed up to question him at his boss’s home, 85 miles away from Savannah, the Daily Mail reported.

Moss said he assured them that he didn’t leave his house the night before his son’s disappearance and told them he headed to work at 7:40 a.m. that day.

“’I told police – she’s gonna hurt that baby,” he told the Daily Mail. “I said I didn’t know what was going on. Hell, I haven’t heard from her in six to seven months.”

Moss said the couple broke up shortly after Simon allegedly tried to frame him up for a home burglary she had already been arrested for.

Simon ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge of criminal trespass and was sentenced to 12 months of probation, the Daily Mail reported.

She was still on probation for that offense and for another theft out of North Carolina at the time of Quinton’s disappearance.

“She did cocaine every day, all day, as much as she could,” Moss told the Daily Mail. “When she didn’t get no money from me to get f—king drugs, she’d go crazy. She hit me a few times in the face.”

“The only reason I’m not in Quinton’s life is because she left,” he added. “She was not welcome here anymore with all her lying and stealing.”

Moss said he went to Simon’s family’s home the day after his son’s disappearance to speak with her and Howell about the missing little boy, the Daily Mail reported.

“Every one of them was high as a kite and drunk as hell,” he said. “Leilani was on something. She wasn’t crying when I walked up. She was laughing and having a good time with everybody. It looked like a party.”

Investigators sifted through more than 1.2 million pounds of trash and hazardous material during the five-week search for the missing toddler, FOX News reported.

“The working conditions were grueling and hazardous, and searchers knew that the chances of finding Quinton were low,” the CCPD said in a press release on the day of Simon’s arrest. “Historically, the FBI says landfill searches are only successful 5 percent of the time.”

The CCPD arrested Simon on Nov. 21 after testing at the FBI laboratory in Quantico, Virginia, preliminarily confirmed that the bones investigators located at the landfill on Nov. 18 were human, the police department said in a press release.

Additional testing and DNA analysis were then performed to confirm the remains belonged to Quinton.

“The FBI’s expertise was instrumental in solving this case and locating Quinton,” Chatham County Police Chief Jeff Hadley said in the press release. “They are the undisputed experts in missing child cases, and they were with us at every turn in our investigation. Their expertise, manpower, and resources are unmatched and we are tremendously grateful for the FBI’s assistance.”

Chief Hadley described the landfill search as a “massive operation” that would not have been possible without the assistance of numerous other law enforcement and emergency services agencies.

“We are indebted to the many law enforcement and public service agencies who assisted with this search, which was a crucial part of our investigation,” the chief said.

“Every member of the Chatham County Police Department has been impacted by Quinton’s case,” he continued. “I’m proud of how our department performed under the tremendous strain that comes any time a child is missing. Our Criminal Investigations Division deserves special recognition. Their devotion to Quinton and to making sure this crime did not go unsolved is an example of police work at its finest. Our detectives worked tirelessly, and were determined to follow every lead and uncover every piece of evidence in this case.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."