• Search

Texas Shooter Had Escaped From Mental Hospital, Tried To ‘Carry Out Death Threats’ In Past

Devin Kelley, who once escaped from a mental hospital, may have been targeting his mother-in-law in Sunday's shooting.

Sutherland Springs, TX – Authorities have discovered that Texas church shooter Devin Kelley had escaped from a New Mexico mental health hospital in 2012.

At that time, Kelley was attempting to carry out death threats on his superior military officials, according to an El Paso Police Department report, Good Morning America reported.

The report stated that Kelley was caught sneaking firearms onto Hollaman Air Force Base in New Mexico where he was serving, and faced military criminal charges.

A witness in the report said Kelley “suffered from mental disorders and had plans to run from Peak Behavioral Health Services … and take a bus out of state.”

Kelley was captured by El Paso Police at a bus terminal in downtown El Paso in June 2012, a police report said, according to KPRG.

Peak Behavioral Health released a statement refusing to comment on whether Kelley was a patient, but they expressed their condolences to his victims and family, ABC News reported.

An unidentified Air Force official confirmed that Kelley was a danger to himself and others, Good Morning America reported.

As the investigation continues, the FBI said they have been unable to access Kelley’s cell phone since the shooting because it was encrypted, officials said.

“We’re working very hard to get into the phone and that will continue until we find an answer,” said Chris Combs of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

“I don’t know how long that’s going to be to be, quite honest with you. It could be tomorrow, a week or a month. We don’t know yet. We’re going to keep working on the phone and the other digital media we have.”

The phone’s encryption “highlights an issue that you have all heard about before with the advance of the technology and the phones and the encryptions – law enforcement, whether it’s at the state, local or federal level, is increasingly not able to get into these phones,” Combs said.

“I’m not going to describe what phone it is because I don’t want to tell every bad guy out there what phone to buy,” Combs said.

Kelley was at odds with his mother-in-law, and police believe she may have been the target of his rampage.

His mother-in-law attended the church that Kelley attacked, but she was not at that service, according to NBC News.

AndrewBlake - November Tue, 2017


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."