• Search

Teen Arrested For Shooting In School Parking Lot Released From Jail Less Than 24 Hours Later

Everett, WA – A 15-year-old boy who was arrested for allegedly shooting into an occupied vehicle at Mariner High School was released from jail less than 24 hours after deputies arrested him.

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) responded to the high school at approximately 3:10 p.m. on June 13 after receiving a report of a shooting in the parking lot, the department said in a press release on Wednesday.

Investigators said that a 15-year-old suspect had opened fire on two teens who were sitting in a vehicle, then fled the scene on foot.

The victims sped off prior to the deputies’ arrival.

The SCSO used a K9 team to search for the gunman, but they were unable to immediately locate him, according to the press release.

Meanwhile, additional deputies located the car the victims were traveling in and stopped them.

“They were not injured,” the SCSO said. “Both victims were uncooperative and released.”

But they didn’t get to take their car with them, the sheriff’s office noted.

“The vehicle had a bullet hole and was seized pending a search warrant,” the SCSO said.

Members of the SCSO’s Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF) tracked the suspect down in the 2300-block of 119th Street Southwest at approximately 5:50 p.m. the following evening.

The teen was arrested on charges of disturbing school activity, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of a dangerous weapon on school property.

He was booked into the Denney Juvenile Justice Center and was later ordered to be held on $250 cash bail or $2,500 bond during his initial court appearance on Wednesday.

“He has since posted bail and was released,” the SCSO said.

Snohomish County Sheriff Adam Fortney said he was proud of the deputies’ “quick response and thorough investigative work” in the wake of the shooting, but that he was frustrated to learn the gunman was released less than one day after he was apprehended.

“Public safety remains our top priority and the youngest members of our community deserve to always be safe at school,” Sheriff Fortney said. “I am discouraged to learn the suspect was released in less than 24 hours without an ankle monitor or any additional layer of accountability and protection for our community.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."