• Search

Suspect Shot By Police After Bashing Sergeant In The Head With Bat

Hampton, VA – A bat-wielding suspect was shot by Hampton police at a Ford dealership Tuesday after he beat a female sergeant in the head, according to investigators.

The incident began at approximately 11:04 a.m. on Jan. 4 at the Wynne Ford dealership located in the 1000-block of West Mercury Boulevard, WAVY reported.

Hampton Police Chief Mark Talbot said during a press conference later in the afternoon that his office received a call that a man was “pacing around” the dealership parking lot, “being aggressive and carrying a baseball bat.”

His antics terrified people who were inside the business, so they locked the doors and retreated to the back of the building in an effort to protect themselves.

The caller said employees at the business knew the suspect.

“The female who called us said that she needed us to arrive quickly,” the chief added. “She was clearly very afraid.”

Hampton police responded the scene and made contact with the suspect, but he refused to put down the bat, Chief Talbot told reporters.

The officers called a supervisor to the scene to assist.

The unnamed supervisor who responded to the dealership is a sergeant who has served the Hampton Police Department (HPD) for the past 20 years, WAVY reported.

Chief Talbot said the sergeant was attempting to de-escalate the situation when the suspect attacked her and bashed her in the head with the bat.

Another officer drew his duty pistol and shot the suspect.

Chief Talbot said the sergeant and the suspect were both “severely” injured during the incident.

The entire situation unfolded within approximately 30 minutes from the time of the initial call, Chief Talbot said.

Four officers were at the scene at the time of the shooting, which was captured by their bodycams.

The injured sergeant and the suspect were both transported to the hospital for treatment, HPD Sergeant R.C. Williams told WAVY.

The sergeant suffered non-life threatening injuries and has since been released from the hospital, police confirmed Wednesday.

The suspect remained hospitalized with life-threatening injuries, according to WAVY.

Chief Talbot praised the sergeant and told reporters she “did her job very well,” according to the news outlet.

“[She] made all of us very proud,” he added.

Chief Talbot said the bodycam footage is currently being reviewed, but that the suspect “did not say anything” indicating he was experiencing a mental health crisis at the time of the confrontation, WAVY reported.

The chief said he met with the injured sergeant Tuesday while she was still at the hospital, according to the Daily Press.

“She said to me, ‘I just wanted everybody to get home safely, including the man with the baseball bat,’” he recalled.

The officers involved in the incident have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, as per protocol.

The officer who shot the suspect has been with the HPD since 2019, Chief Talbot said.

“We will be evaluating whether or not we adhered to policy. We will evaluate whether we adhered to our own procedures and certainly make sure we are well within the law,” the chief added.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."