• Search

Student Shoots High School Principal, Loses Gunfight With School Resource Officer

Olathe, KS – The principal of Olathe East High School and a school resource officer were shot by a student on Friday morning and then the officer shot the armed student.

Authorities received the first 911 call about the incident at Olathe East High School, located at 127th Street and Black Bob Road, at about 10:41 a.m. on March 4, KCTV reported.

The Olathe Police Department said an 18-year-old student opened fire in the principal’s office.

Olathe Police Sergeant Joel Yeldell said the school resource officer returned fire and then disarmed the suspect, WDAF reported.

The school resource officer was also wounded by gunfire.

Olathe police have credited the brave school resource officer with stopping the gunman before the more people were shot, WDAF reported.

A recording of the officer’s radio call for assistance after he was wounded was posted to social media and pinpointed the location of the active shooter for responding officers.

The officer applied a tourniquet to his own wound while he waited for backup and EMS to respond, WDAF reported.

Cell phone videos posted to social media from inside the school showed officers responding to the scene.

Overland Park Medical Center confirmed that all three gunshot victims were transported to its trauma center, WDAF reported.

“I did hear just shortly before we started that our officer is fine. He’s talking to people at the hospital,” Sgt. Yeldell said at a press briefing on Friday afternoon. “Our administrator is also in stable condition and, I believe, expected to survive, as well as the suspect that’s in custody.”

Hospital officials said one of the patients remained in critical condition.

The sergeant said the only student who was injured during the incident was the gunman who shot the principal and school resource officer, WDAF reported.

Officials have not identified the school resource officer or the student, but police confirmed the wounded administrator was the high school’s principal.

Students said the police response to the active shooter incident was swift and enormous, WDAF reported.

“I heard one shot. Most of our doors and windows are soundproof for the most part,” freshman Aiden Stuart said. “Within the first 10 minutes we were told to lockdown, many cop cars rode into the school. There were probably 50 cars there, so all of us knew something was happening,”

Stuart said it was the first time he and his classmates had actually needed the active shooter training they’d drilled for, WDAF reported.

“Obviously everyone’s like hey, this is actually happening where it doesn’t happen to a lot of schools around. and when it does it’s a big deal, so most of us were a little surprised, a little scared,” the freshman said.

The high school lifted its lockdown late on Friday afternoon and began releasing students to their worried parents.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."