• Search

St. Louis Cop Shot, 2 Others Injured During Ambush Attack

St. Louis, MO – A drug-fueled gunman shot a St. Louis police officer and injured two other officers early Sunday morning, according to police.

The attack occurred as two officers were responding to a report of people loitering at the Crown Mart gas station on North 13th Street at approximately 1 a.m. on July 26, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

They were sitting in their vehicle when the suspect drove by and began shooting at them.

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department (SLMPD) Chief John Hayden said the officers initially thought they were hearing fireworks, but realized they were under attack when the back window of their patrol vehicle shattered, WUSA reported.

“This shows the brazen of nature of it, but it also shows what we’re up against in these times,” Chief Hayden told reporters.

A SLMPD sergeant witnessed the ambush attack and pursued the fleeing suspect.

During the chase, the gunman allegedly used a sawed-off shotgun to fire multiple rounds at all three officers, WUSA reported.

One of the officers was hit in the elbow during the barrage of gunfire.

The suspect made a U-turn at Chouteau Avenue and South 14th Street, then rammed his vehicle into the side of the sergeant’s patrol car before crashing into a nearby traffic light, Chief Hayden said.

Police said the gunman ran out of ammunition and tried to flee the scene on foot.

He was taken into custody by the wounded officer and a second officer, WUSA reported.

The second officer’s knee was injured during the arrest, according to police.

The sergeant inside the patrol vehicle the gunman crashed into suffered a head injury, but he refused treatment at the scene, WUSA reported.

The officer who was shot in the elbow and the officer who suffered the knee injury were both transported to a local hospital, where they were treated and released.

The suspect has been identified as 23-year-old Peter Webb, WUSA reported.

Investigators said they located the sawed-off shotgun inside Webb’s vehicle.

Webb has been charged with resisting arrest, unlawful use of a weapon, three counts of armed criminal action, and three counts of first-degree assault of a law enforcement officer WUSA reported.

Chief Hayden said that the attack appears to have been random.

According to court documents, Webb told police after his arrest that he wanted to die, and that they were “cowards” for not killing him during the incident, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

He also allegedly told investigators he was high on methamphetamine at the time of the attack.

Webb has no prior felony convictions, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson retweeted photos of the bullet-ridden SLMPD vehicles on Sunday afternoon.

“Thank you to the brave men and women of @SLMPD who serve our community under extraordinarily difficult circumstances,” Krewson wrote. “Praying for a full recovery for our injured officers.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."