• Search

Rioters Set Portland Police Union Building On Fire, Destroy Police Cars

Portland, OR – Rioters stormed the Portland Police Association (PPA) building and set it ablaze again on Tuesday night, according to police.

The mob of approximately 100 people is demanding the complete abolition of law enforcement in Portland, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting.

The crowd marched from Kenton Park to the PPA at approximately 9:40 p.m., blocking traffic and shooting fireworks into the air along the way, the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) said in a press release.

When the group arrived at the PPA, which is situated in a business and residential area, they promptly lit a garbage can on fire and placed it “directly next to the building,” according to police.

While officers were using the sound truck to order the rioters to “stop their criminal activity,” someone in the crowd sprayed an unidentified accelerant on the doors of the PPA building and set it ablaze, the PPB said.

“Incident command declared a riot due to the criminal activity and danger the fires were posing to the neighborhood,” the agency’s press release read.

Members of Portland Fire and Rescue doused the fires while police ordered rioters to get out of the roadway and to leave the area to the north.

Alma Raven-Guido was arrested on an arson charge as a result of the incident, according to the PPB.

Rioters were also out in full force on Monday night, busting out the windows of the city-owned Penumbra Kelly building and painting graffiti on the outside of the property, the PPB said in another press release.

“Dozens of lower priority calls for police service waited…some for hours, as officers from across the city responded to restore order,” the PPB noted.

About 200 rioters destroyed light figures outside the building and damaged police vehicles by throwing various objects and using “metal devices designed to puncture tires,” according to the department.

Bottles, rocks, bricks, chunks of concrete, fireworks, and ball bearings fired from “wrist rockets” were all used to attack the officers, the PPB said.

Some members of the mob tried to force their way into the building through the front doors, according to police.

They completely blocked traffic in the area and set fire to the “east side of the building, adding wood and other flammable material to it,” the PPB said.

Rioters also used an unknown accelerant in an attempt to set fire to a dumpster.

“There was no indication that anyone in the crowd attempted to stop the violence that led to the riot,” the PPB said. “Instead, most of those present actively participated or encouraged the criminal activity.”

Police used pepper spray, impact munitions, and other less-lethal weapons to disperse the mob, but did not deploy any tear gas, according to the press release.

Meanwhile, another group of suspects cut through a chain link fence on North Philadelphia Avenue to gain access to a parking lot where the PPB vehicles are kept, the department said in another press release.

After breaching the fence, the suspects “broke out windows, slashed tires, and broke windows of several police vehicles,” according to police.

They fled the scene before officers arrived.

The department said it did not make any arrests on Monday night, but that rioters could be arrested in the future as the investigation into the attacks continue.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."