• Search

Retired Cop Speaks Out After Arrest Of Felon Who Allegedly Shot Him For Witnessing Murder

New Haven, CT – A suspect accused of shooting an off-duty New Haven police captain three times and murdering a second victim appeared in court for his arraignment on Tuesday, according to the New Haven State’s Attorney’s Office.

Albert Eaddy, 59, faces charges of felony murder, two counts of first-degree robbery, murder, and first-degree assault in connection with the 2019 attack on 46-year-old Troy Clark and off-duty New Haven Police Captain Anthony Duff, New Haven State’s Attorney Patrick Griffin said in a press release on Tuesday.

Eaddy is being held on $2 million bond.

The incident occurred in the area of Henry Street and Dixwell Avenue at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Aug. 12, 2019, the New Haven Register reported.

The off-duty captain was in the area and witnessed Clark being fatally shot, according to WFSB.

The gunman then opened fire on Capt. Duff, hitting him three times before fleeing the area on foot.

The wounded captain, who wasn’t in uniform, was able to contact the police department for help, WFSB reported.

Officers rushed to the scene and used tourniquets to help curb Capt. Duff’s blood loss, then-New Haven Police Chief Otoniel Reyes told the New Haven Register.

Capt. Duff was rushed to a local hospital and underwent emergency surgery.

The longtime officer recovered from his wounds and returned to work in January of 2020, WFSB reported.

“He could have retired absolutely, it was a significant injury, but he chose to come back and what he did for the men and women of the NHPD, I don’t think he’ll ever know. It’s inspiring, it’s a call of what it means to be a police officer,” New Haven Police Acting Chief Renee Dominguez told the news outlet.

Capt. Duff continued serving the department for another 15 months before retiring in April.

Eaddy was already serving prison time on a parole violation when he was charged in connection with the shooting, the Hartford Courant reported.

He was previously convicted of robbery.

Chief Dominguez and New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker credited witnesses and people with information for having come forward to help police identify Eaddy as a suspect.

Retired Capt. Duff spoke out about the shooting in the wake of the charges being filed.

“Two years ago, my life changed. I’m still here, though, and as a result of that incident I saw a person die,” he said on Aug. 26, according to the Hartford Courant. “It’s something else when you’re not working and you’re just driving along and you come across something like I did and you have to make a decision. Someone there was in need of help, in this case Mr. Troy Clark, and I called it in and I chose to act.”

“I wish I could have done more to have saved Mr. Clark,” he said. “I wish he were here.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."