• Search

Rampaging Woman Beats Three Officers, Sends Two To Hospital

Treva Murray allegedly attacked four University of Illinois police officers inside a Family Video store on Nov. 21.

Urbana, IL – An irate woman demolished the inside of a local video store while attacking four police officers on Nov. 21.

Two of the officers’ injuries were so severe, they were ultimately rushed to a local hospital by ambulance for treatment, The News Gazette reported.

The Urbana Police Department had already given 44-year-old Treva Murray a break at approximately 7:20 a.m. that same day, after McDonald’s employees called to report that an enraged woman was trying to climb across the counter, Urbana Deputy Police Chief Rich Surles said.

When officers arrived at the scene, the 6-foot, 230-pound suspect told the officers she was upset because her payment card had been declined, The News Gazette reported.

Police ultimately issued a no-trespass order against Murray, and allowed her to leave the area.

But by 4:30 p.m. that same day, Murray was allegedly causing another disturbance – this time at the Family Video store on Philo Road.

The store manager told police that the suspect refused to leave the business.

Urbana police were tied up on a shooting incident at the time, so University of Illinois (UI) officers responded to the Family Video to handle Murray, The News Gazette reported.

But when they arrived, the enraged suspect went on the fight.

“She was acting aggressive verbally and indicating she was going to fight,” UI Police Lieutenant Joe McCullough told The News Gazette. “She was knocking stuff to the ground and swinging objects at our officers.”

Murray allegedly swung a floor fan at police, among other items.

One UI officer fired her Taser at Murray twice, but it had no effect, Lt. McCullough said.

The suspect was much larger than the four officers she attacked, he added.

During the ensuing brawl, Murray knocked over a shelf of merchandise and swept items on the checkout counter across the floor.

Sgt. Laura Tison was struck in the face and also suffered a broken arm as police wrestled with the combative suspect on the floor, The News Gazette reported.

One officer witnessed Murray kicking the sergeant in the stomach.

Murray allegedly slapped Officer Nina Thigpen multiple times, and also left her with a swollen knee.

Officer George Sandwick was allegedly punched in the arm by the suspect before she was finally taken into custody.

Three officers were treated for their injuries at a local hospital, and have since been released, The News Gazette reported.

The fourth officer was not injured in the attack.

Murray has been charged with three counts of aggravated battery to a police officer and two counts of resisting a peace officer.

During her court hearing on Nov. 22, Murray repeatedly yelled over Judge Adam Dill, and refused to allow him to read her charges, The News Gazette reported.

“Guilty of self-defense!” she screamed. “You’re not trying me! I don’t need to hear them!”

Dill ultimately vacated and rescheduled the arraignment hearing, and ordered that Murray be held on $50,000 bond.

Holly Matkin - November Wed, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."