• Search

Rampaging Gunman Opens Fire On Police In 3 Separate Shootings In City

A Lansing man opened fire on officers throughout the city Saturday afternoon.

Lansing, MI – A gunman who opened fire on police and residents in multiple Lansing locations was shot and wounded by police Saturday afternoon, Lansing Police Chief Mike Yankowski said.

The 25-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was listed in “critical but stable” condition after being shot “multiple times” during two exchanges of gunfire with officers, Chief Yankowski told the Lansing State Journal.

The Lansing Police Department (LPD) initially responded to a report of shots fired at an apartment building at 10:10 a.m., after the suspect fired his weapon into an apartment, police said.

No one was injured, and the gunmen fled the area.

At approximately 11 a.m., a patrol officer spotted the suspect on foot nearly a mile north of the apartment complex.

“When she tried to verbally confront him he, produced a firearm and started shooting at her,” Chief Yankowski told the Lansing State Journal.

The uninjured officer returned fire, but it was not known if the suspect was hit.

The gunmen fled the scene on foot, and headed towards an industrial area, the chief said.

Police then “flooded the area,” and cordoned off traffic to establish a perimeter around the suspect’s location.

Troopers inside a Michigan State Police (MSP) helicopter located the suspect hiding in an abandoned lumberyard, between a building an a concrete barrier, at 12:20 p.m.

As officers clad in tactical gear began to approach the gunman, he opened fire. Police returned fire, hitting the suspect numerous times, WILX reported.

Witnesses in the area reported hearing at least 10-15 shots.

Police moved in on the gunman after he ceased firing, and began administering life-saving aid, to include the use of tourniquets, Chief Yankowski told the Lansing State Journal.

The suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he remained in critical but stable condition as of Saturday afternoon, the chief said.

“This was a very violent encounter,” he added. “Our police officers acted… with extreme bravery.”

The department’s tactical vehicle was struck by gunfire during the incident, but no officers were injured.

The two tactical officers and one patrol officer who returned fire have been placed on administrative leave, as per LPD policy, Chief Yankowski said.

The MSP will handle the investigation, and the LPD will conduct a subsequent internal review, he added.

The chief said that any bodycam footage that may have been recorded during the encounter will be released in the future.

“As soon as we can get that out to the public we will,” he confirmed.

Investigators said that the same gunman may have shot at a “friend or relative” in recent days, but that the allegations were still under investigation.

HollyMatkin - April Sun, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."