• Search

President Trump Calls Wounded Deputies After Ambush

Los Angeles, CA – The Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies who were shot while they were sitting in their patrol vehicle in Compton earlier this month both received personal phone calls from President Donald Trump as they continue to recover, their department said on Saturday.

The deputies, a 31-year-old female and a 24-year-old male who both graduated from the police training academy just 14 months ago, suffered serious gunshot wounds at about 7 p.m. on Sept. 12, CBS News reported.

An unidentified male approached the patrol vehicle they were sitting in at the Metro Blue Line train station in Compton and shot them.

KTTV reported that the female deputy was shot twice in the jaw and the male deputy was shot in the head and the arm.

The female deputy applied a tourniquet to her wounded partner’s arm as they took cover behind a column of a nearby building after they were shot.

Both deputies were transported to the hospital where they underwent surgery and remained in critical condition, KTTV reported.

“A week ago today, a callous and heartless criminal attempted to murder two of the heroes that work hard everyday to keep you safe when ride @metrolosangeles,” the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD) Transit Services Bureau said in a Facebook post on Saturday. “The outpouring of love and support from our Department, @lacosheriff, the community, and indeed from around the world, has been overwhelming, but also very much appreciated!”

Among the well-wishers was President Trump, who took the time to place a personal phone call to both officers last week, according to the department.

The wounded female deputy took the call from her ICU bed with her husband and a uniformed LASD sergeant by her side.

“This week #potus45 @realdonaldtrump called both of our deputies to check on their spirits, wish them a speedy recovery and remind them that the #american people are behind them and that the coward that harmed them will be brought to #justice!!” the LASD said.

Due to her injuries, the heroic deputy responded to the President in written messages that were then relayed by the sergeant.

The male deputy has been released from the hospital, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told KNBC.

He is now receiving long-term care, Sheriff Villanueva said.

“Both of the deputies and their families were very appreciative of the call!” the department’s post read. “Please continue to keep these #lawenforcement professionals in your prayers and know that they will be back, keeping you safe, when you #gometro!!!”

The search for the unidentified gunman remains ongoing, KNBC reported.

Sheriff Villanueva announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to the shooter’s arrest and conviction, KTTV reported.

The suspect is described as being between 28 and 30 years old and wearing dark clothing. No information has been released regarding a possible motive for the shootings.

Avatar
Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Avatar Written by Holly Matkin

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."