• Search

Portland Rioters Move To Residential Areas, Terrorizing Residents

Portland, OR – Rioters marched through residential neighborhoods and set fires outside the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) building before repeatedly attacking local and federal officers with an array of projectiles on Thursday night, according to police.

A crowd of approximately 100 people gathered outside the ICE building on Southwest Macadam Avenue beginning at about 10 p.m., the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) said in a press release.

The mob had several “support-type vehicles” that helped them to block traffic, and many of the rioters were seen wearing gas masks and helmets and carrying shields, police said.

Members of the group tried tampering with the control panel of the ICE security gate, while others tampered with the gate itself, according to the PPB.

Rioters painted graffiti on the federal building, and some sprayed paint in the port holes “so Federal Protective Service (FPS) officers could not see out,” police said.

FPS officers exited the building just before 11:30 p.m. and were immediately attacked with bottles, rocks, commercial grade fireworks, and lasers, according to the press release.

Meanwhile, other rioters ignited a “large dumpster fire” near the intersection of South Moody Avenue and South Lowell Street.

They set at least two other blazes in the area before the night was over, police said.

Police declared the gathering an unlawful assembly and warned the mob that they would be subjected to potential arrest, impact weapons, crowd control munitions, and tear gas if they did not disperse, but the crowd ignored them.

Rioters hurled cones, glass bottles, paint-filled balloons, rocks, and other projectiles at officers as they pushed the crowd away from the federal building, according to the press release.

Officers disengaged the group at approximately 12:35 a.m.

“After PPB officers disengaged the group, the group began walking south towards the ICE building again,” police said. “Public address announcements were made once again, reminding the group the gathering was still an unlawful assembly and they needed to disperse to the north.”

The mob ignored the order and attacked officers as they dispersed the group for the second time.

“A third dispersal was initiated by PPB officers when the group once again returned to the ICE building,” the PPB said. “As the group was dispersed, the sound truck was hit with rocks.”

A small group returned to the ICE building yet again after the third dispersal, but they eventually wandered off by about 2 a.m., the PPB said.

PPB did not deploy any CS gas or crowd control munitions on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Officers arrested three rioters during the overnight chaos.

Courtney Pace, 27, was arrested for interfering with a peace officer.

Riley Haralson, 18, was arrested on charges of harassment and interfering with a peace officer.

Christopher Wise, 30, was arrested for disorderly conduct and interfering with a peace officer.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."