• Search

Portland Firefighter Charged With Kidnapping Suspected Burglar Of His Weed Dispensary Business

Portland, OR – A Portland firefighter who owns a marijuana dispensary has been arrested for allegedly kidnapping a man who burglarized his business.

Investigators said the firefighter held the alleged thief captive in a storage unit on a marijuana farm.

According to court documents, Portland Fire and Rescue Firefighter Douglas Bourland, 46, is the owner of the Oregon Hemp House, which had been burglarized approximately one week prior to the Aug. 14 kidnapping, KPTV reported.

The kidnapping victim’s friends allegedly told investigators they had broken into the dispensary along with the victim and made off with an undisclosed amount of marijuana, police said.

According to court documents, Bourland’s co-defendant, 42-year-old Hong Lee, told detectives that Bourland managed to identify the culprit and decided to “teach him a lesson,” KPTV reported.

The burglary suspect was eating dinner with his friends at Ruth’s Chris Steak House on Saturday when he headed outside at approximately 10:30 p.m. to talk with another friend, later identified as 24-year-old Edward Simmons, police said.

As they were talking, a black Range Rover with no license plates pulled up beside them, KPTV reported.

Bourland was allegedly behind the wheel, police said.

According to court documents, Lee jumped out of the vehicle armed with a gun and proceeded to pistol whip the alleged burglar as the man’s friends ran out of the restaurant to help save him from his attackers.

Simmons held the group back while Lee forced the victim into the vehicle and sped off, police said.

A nearby Uber driver witnessed the kidnapping and immediately called police, KPTV reported.

Portland police later tracked the Range Rover down and pulled Bourland over on South Vermont Street, but the kidnapped man wasn’t inside.

Officers said they did observe blood inside the back door on the driver’s side of the vehicle, KPTV reported.

They also allegedly found a gun on the front passenger floorboard, KPTV reported.

Detectives said Lee confessed to the kidnapping and said he, Simmons, and Bourland were holding the victim captive in a storage container on a marijuana farm in Estacada.

Investigators were able to locate and rescue the victim the next morning, KPTV reported.

Simmons, Lee, and Bourland were all arrested on three counts of first-degree kidnapping.

Lee was also charged with unlawful use of a weapon and second-degree assault.

Portland Fire and Rescue said Bourland is still employed with the agency as a firefighter, but noted he was on leave prior to his arrest, KPTV reported.

Portland Fire and Rescue spokesperson Terry Foster said Bourland has been with the fire department for 14 years, but he refused to discuss why he was on leave at the time of the alleged kidnapping, The Oregonian reported.

Portland Fire Chief Sara Boone said she will wait for the outcome of the legal proceedings before making conclusions about the veteran firefighter, but said she is “gravely concerned” about the allegations.

“On the surface these are horrific charges and justice needs to be served,” Chief Boone told The Oregonian.

Bourland was released on his own recognizance, KPTV reported.

His arraignment is scheduled to take place on Wednesday.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."