• Search

Police Shoot Armed Man Attacking Deputy, Igniting Protests

Los Angeles, CA – Protesters marched to the South Los Angeles sheriff station earlier this week to protest the fatal shooting of an armed man who punched a cop before he was shot on Monday (video below).

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said the shooting occurred at about 3:16 p.m. on Aug. 31 in the 1200-block of West 109th Place, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The sheriff’s department said two deputies saw a man on a bike on Budlong Avenue breaking vehicle codes and attempted to talk to him.

No information has been released about what codes were being broken, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Brandon Dean said that when the deputies tried to talk to 29-year-old Dijon Kizzee, the man dropped his bike and fled north on foot.

Deputies pursed Kizzee and caught up with him a block later, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Lt. Dean said that was when Kizzee punched one of the deputies in the face.

Then the suspect dropped a bundle of clothes that he’d been carrying and a handgun fell out, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“Our suspect was holding some items of clothing in his hands, punched one of the officers in the face and then dropped the items in his hands,” Lt. Dean told reporters. “The deputies noticed that inside the clothing items that he dropped was a black semiautomatic handgun, at which time a deputy-involved shooting occurred.”

The sheriff’s department released a later statement that said Kizzee “made a motion toward the firearm” and deputies opened fire.

Deputies recovered Kizzee’s handgun at the scene.

Lt. Dean said he didn’t know how many times Kizzee had been shot but security camera videos from the street where the incident occurred captured audio that showed between 15 and 18 rounds were fired, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Kizzee’s family has already retained notorious anti-police attorney Ben Crump and said they planned to have an independent autopsy conducted.

Crump is simultaneously representing Kenosha’s Jacob Blake and the families of George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Louisville.

Neighbor Timothy Ingram complained that deputies refused to cover up Kizzee’s body after he bled out on the sidewalk, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Ingram said Kizzee’s body wasn’t moved until 1 a.m., nine hours after he was fatally shot.

“I stayed here until they moved the body,” the 52-year-old neighbor told the Los Angeles Times. “I was not going to leave. … I felt it was my civic duty to watch over that man.”

Another witness said that Kizzee ran up to her car and asked for a ride while he was being chased by the police, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“He said, ‘They’re coming to get me; they’re coming to get me,'” 29-year-old Latiera Irby said.

Irby said Kizzee offered her money to help him escape, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“I didn’t know who he was running from, so I told him no,” she said.

Shortly thereafter, Irby saw Kizzee fighting with a sheriff’s deputy, the Los Angeles Times reported.

She said she watched a deputy back away from Kizzee and then shoot him.

Irby claimed both deputies fired at Kizzee after he was down on the ground, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“He had nothing in his hands,” she said.

A group gathered at the shooting scene immediately after Kizzee was shot and grew into a large mob of protesters who then marched to the South Los Angeles sheriff’s station, the Los Angeles Times reported.

One of the chief complaints by the community is the failure of the sheriff’s department to equip its deputies with bodycams.

The two home security videos that captured audio of Kizzee’s shooting did not show the actual incident, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Crump, the Kizzee family’s attorney, has posted a call for witnesses to come forward with any additional videos of the incident.

You can listen to the audio from the security cameras below:

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."