• Search

Police Apprehend Gunman Who Shot Denver Detective

Police arrested 43-year-old Samuel McConnell for the shooting of a Denver detective after an hours-long manhunt.

Arvada, CO – Police captured the armed robber who shot an off-duty Denver police detective in both arms on Wednesday after an hours-long manhunt for the masked gunman.

Arvada Police Department Spokeswoman Sarah Horan told reporters that the incident began at about 9:47 a.m. when police received an emergency call about shots fired at the Circle K gas station located at W. 80th Avenue and Kipling Street.

The off-duty detective was getting gas with his son when the robbery occurred and he tried to intervene when the armed gunman – later identified as 43-year-old Samuel McConnell – was making his getaway, the Denver Post reported.

Horan said the armed suspect encountered the Denver detective as he was exiting the store and immediately opened fire on the officer.

The detective was shot in both arms.

Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office Spokeswoman Pam Russell said the detective/s gun either jammed or malfunctioned during the incident, the Denver Post reported.

The gunman, who was wearing a ski mask, fled the gas station with his two-year-old son, whom he’d left in the car in the gas station parking lot while he was robbing the convenience store, KCNC reported.

A manhunt for the suspect who had shot the detective ensued.

Arvada police received a tip about the location of the vehicle that McConnell had been driving and found his gold 2013 Chevrolet Equinox near Copperwood Apartments off 82nd Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard in Westminster, KCNC reported.

The vehicle had damage consistent with the description of the suspect’s vehicle, including damage to the windshield from gunfire.

McConnell was taken into custody at about 7 p.m. on Dec. 18 in the 8200-block of Sheridan Boulevard, according to the Denver Post.

He appeared in court on Thursday and the judge ordered him held on a $1 million bond.

McConnell’s next hearing is scheduled for Dec. 27, the Denver Post reported.

Denver Police Chief Paul Pazen commended the detective’s son who was with him at the gas station when he was shot.

Chief Pazen said the detective’s son provided emergency care and assisted the detective until the ambulance arrived to transport him to Denver Health.

The chief did not release the detective’s name but said that he has been on the police force for 14 years and has received numerous awards and acknowledgements for distinguished work for the Denver Police Department.

He said the detective was being treated for gunshot wounds to both arms and was in stable condition.

Sandy Malone - December Thu, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."