• Search

Over 70 Bullets Fired, 3 People Wounded In Shootout On Residential Philly Street

Philadelphia, PA – Two groups of people fired more than 70 rounds during a shootout in the Frankford neighborhood on Thursday night, leaving three men with gunshot wounds, according to police.

The barrage of gunfire occurred in the area of Griscom Street and Arrott Street at approximately 10 p.m. on June 30, WCAU reported.

Philadelphia Police Department (PPD) 15th District officers out patrolling the area heard the shots and responded to the scene within seconds, PPD Chief Inspector Scott Small told WTXF.

They arrived to find a 30-year-old man sitting in an SUV with a gunshot wound to the head, WCAU reported.

Investigators later recovered security footage that showed the same 30-year-old man stepping out of a vehicle with two other men before all three of them opened fire at another group of people, Chief Inspector Small said.

Police allegedly found a semiautomatic handgun lying beside him on the floor of the vehicle where he was sitting, WCAU reported.

The 30-year-old gunman was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition, but he is expected to survive, according to Chief Inspector Small.

Two other wounded men showed up at the same hospital a while later, and both allegedly said they’d been shot in the same area of town where the 30-year-old gunman had been shot in the head, WCAU reported.

One of the men, a 27-year-old, had a gunshot wound to his arm, while the other man, a 28-year-old, had been shot in the leg.

Investigators determined that all three of the wounded individuals had been involved in the same shootout, WCAU reported.

Police located more than 70 bullet casings in the two-block area where the shootout occurred.

At least three separate weapons were fired during the incident, to include a rifle, WPVI reported.

Investigators located multiple security cameras in the area and said they are hoping they will help them as they figure out what occurred, Chief Inspector Small said.

He noted that another man involved in the exchange of gunfire was a 22-year-old man who was legally licensed to carry a firearm, WCAU reported.

That participant said he returned fire after being shot at.

Chief Inspector Small said the 22-year-old man is cooperating with the ongoing investigation.

The incident occurred just one week after another shootout in broad daylight on a residential South Philadelphia street was captured on video. 

Two people were fatally shot and two more were wounded in the deadly shootout during which at least 30 shots were fired, WCAU reported. 

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."