• Search

One Officer Killed, One Injured In Helicopter Crash While Responding To Disturbance

Newport Beach, CA – A veteran Huntington Beach police officer was killed and a second officer was injured after their police helicopter crashed into the waters of the Newport Beach Harbor as they were responding to a disturbance on Saturday night.

The Newport Beach Fire Department (NBFD) said the incident occurred at 6:34 p.m. on Feb. 19, KTTV reported.

The two Huntington Beach Police Department (HBPD) officers inside the helicopter were responding to a report of a disturbance in progress in the area of Balboa Boulevard and 18th Street in Newport Beach when the pilot reported a mechanical problem.

The aircraft “crash-landed” in the water between the Balboa and Lido peninsulas approximately 20 feet offshore a short while later, The Press-Enterprise reported.

“Right now, it appears to be a nose-down descent into the water,” National Transportation Safety Board spokesperson Elliott Simpson told the Los Angeles Times.

“We usually have a lot of helicopters going around,” resident Alex Burchinal told The Press-Enterprise. “It just had a higher pitch to it, didn’t sound right. I looked outside, saw it going in circles and saw it take off southwest and then I heard it fall and crash [into the water].”

Another witness said it was clear the helicopter was in distress, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“It was out of control,” the witness recounted. “It was obvious that the helicopter was going to go down. And it did go down and almost immediately sunk.”

A multitude of first responders immediately rushed to the scene.

Several civilians also jumped into the water to help, KTTV reported.

“We had people there instantaneously,” Newport Beach Police Chief Jon Lewis told The Press-Enterprise. “We had rescue personnel that consisted of police officers, firefighters and lifeguards.”

Investigators said two blades separated from the helicopter during the crash, KTTV reported.

First responders frantically tried to rescue the officers from the aircraft, which was lying on its side, mostly submerged, according to the Los Angeles Times.

One of the injured officers was freed from the wreckage fairly quickly and was assisted to the beach while rescuers worked to reach his partner.

The first officer, a 50-year-old, 16-year veteran of the HBPD, was rushed to a local trauma center, where he remained until being released the following morning, KTTV reported.

The second officer, 44-year-old HBPD Officer Nicholas Vella, did not survive the crash.

Officer Vella served the department for 14 years and had previously worked for the Laguna Beach Police Department, the Los Angeles Times reported.

He leaves behind a wife and daughter, HBPD Chief Eric Parra said during an emotional press conference, according to KTTV.

Chief Parra said Officer Vella was “truly dedicated to his job” and “loved what he was doing.”

“There are no words that can express this loss adequately,” the chief told KTTV. “We are deeply grieving for Officer Vella’s family, and as a police department, we grieve as well.”

Huntington Beach Mayor Barbara Delgleize said the community is devastated over the loss of Officer Vella, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“This is truly a really heartbreaking time for all of us here in Huntington Beach,” Delgleize said. “Our community values our police department, and the loss of an officer hits us all really hard.”

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office Major Accident Investigation Team and the NTSB are handling the ongoing investigation into the fatal crash.

The investigation will likely take 12 to 18 months to complete, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“We look at not only what happened but we try to figure out why it happened,” NTSB spokesperson Eric Weiss explained.

Weiss said investigators will consider mechanical, human, and environmental factors and what roles they may have played.

“By figuring out why it happened, you can maybe prevent future accidents,” he told the Los Angeles Times.

The incident occurred during dry weather and calm wind conditions, according to The Press-Enterprise.

Chief Parra said the rest of the HPBD’s helicopters have been grounded for inspections.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."