• Search

Officer Shot In Gunfight With Man Allowed To Escape After Trying To Kill 2 Cops

A Baltimore police officer was shot when officers encountered a suspect who had attempted to kill two police officers.

Baltimore, MD – The man authorities believe tried to kill two Baltimore police officers on Tuesday was fatally shot Wednesday night in an incident that left an officer wounded.

The prior incident began at about 1:16 a.m. on Aug. 27 when a silver car tried to run over a Baltimore police officer who was out of his vehicle conducting a traffic stop in the 2400-block of Reisterstown Road, The Baltimore Sun reported.

Another officer on patrol in the area spotted the suspect vehicle about three minutes later at an intersection in the 1500-block of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Police said that as the officer approached the silver car in his police car, the suspect jumped out of his car and opened fire on the officer with a handgun, The Baltimore Sun reported.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said the officer was able to back away in time to avoid being shot.

A 9mm shell casing was recovered later from the scene, The Baltimore Sun reported.

The driver fled and police pursued him through the city until a Baltimore police major ordered the officer to terminate the pursuit when it reached I-295, a six-lane highway that runs out of the city.

Officers continued searching for the suspect vehicle throughout the day, and at about 11 p.m., they spotted it, WBAL reported.

Chief Harrison said a large number of officers responded to the area, and there were two encounters between officers and the suspect that involved an exchange of gunfire.

Police first encountered the suspect at Fayette and North Caroline Streets and fired at him, The Baltimore Sun reported.

The suspect – later identified by police as 30-year-old Tyrone Domingo Banks – jumped back in his car and drove down Caroline Street with police right behind him.

Chief Harrison said officers opened fire on the suspect again when he stopped a block later, The Baltimore Sun reported.

More than 10 officers were involved in the incident and the chief said it wasn’t known how many had fired their weapons, WBAL reported.

The chief told reporters that it was not yet known whether Banks had fired on officers.

“That subject was in fact armed. There is a gun on the scene that we are recovering,” Chief Harrison said.

A Baltimore officer was shot in the lower leg during one of the encounters.

The officer was transported to University of Maryland Medical Center Shock Trauma for treatment, WBAL reported.

The Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police said the officer was released early Thursday morning, WBAL reported.

Chief Harrison said the suspect was transported to Johns Hopkins University Hospital where he died.

A female bystander was also injured during the incident, WBAL reported.

Police said she had been transported to the hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Officials said they didn’t know if she was wounded by gunfire or shrapnel, WBAL reported.

The officer-involved shooting in under investigation and Chief Harrison said investigators would be reviewing bodycam of the incident.

Sandy Malone - August Thu, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."