• Search

Officer In ICU After Shooting, Partner Used Tourniquets To Save His Life

Prairie Grove, AR – A Prairie Grove police officer remains hospitalized in intensive care after being shot multiple times while responding to a domestic disturbance call on Tuesday night.

Prairie Grove Police Department (PGPD) Officer Tyler Franks and Officer Andrew Gibson responded to 313 Thurman Street with two Farmington Police Department (FPD) officers at approximately 8:37 p.m. on May 4, PGPD Chief Chris Workman said in a press release on Wednesday morning.

As they attempted to make entry into a bedroom, a gunman opened fire on them at close range using a handgun and a shotgun, Chief Workman said.

Officer Franks, 29, was shot three times in the upper legs and pelvic area during the attack.

Officer Gibson immediately returned fire, hitting the gunman at least four times, according to the press release.

The shooter, later identified as 42-year-old Nickolas Colbert, retreated into the bedroom as Officer Gibson pulled Officer Franks from the home and applied two tourniquets to the critically-wounded officer, Chief Workman said.

“This immediate action is credited with saving Officer Tyler Franks’ life,” he confirmed.

Officer Franks was rushed to Washington Regional Medical Center and underwent multiple surgeries throughout the night.

“He is currently in ICU and reported to be in stable condition,” Chief Workman said.

Colbert was apprehended by an Emergency Response Team at approximately 9:45 p.m.

He was then transported to the Washington Regional Medical Center, where he underwent surgery, according to the press release.

Colbert was listed in stable condition on Wednesday morning.

Officer Gibson was placed on paid administrative leave in the wake of the officer-involved shooting, as per PGPD policy.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is handling the ongoing investigation into the incident.

Chief Workman said during a press conference on Wednesday morning that he has spent time with Officer Franks’ family and that they are “very hopeful” he will make a full recovery.

“Though it looks like it will be a pretty tough road ahead,” the chief acknowledged. “We believe he will overcome this and he will be back at it.”

Officer Franks has been with the PGPD since September of 2015, according to his department.

He is married and has children.

“We would like to thank all surrounding agencies for their response, cooperation and professionalism. We are truly blessed by the support we are receiving,” Chief Workman said. “Please keep Officer Tyler Franks, his family and this department in your thoughts and prayers.”

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."