• Search

NYPD Officers Attacked By Gunmen In 2 Separate Incidents, Gunfight Captured On Video

Queens, NY – A New York man who allegedly threatened to murder cops and assassinate New York Governor Kathy Hochul was fatally shot by police on Saturday night.

The incident began at approximately 6 p.m. on July 9, after 60-year-old Raul Hardy repeatedly called 911 making threats against Hochul and the New York Police Department (NYPD) “chief,” the New York Post reported.

“He threatened our governor, he threatened numerous elected officials and dignitaries and he threatened members of the Police Department,” NYPD Chief of Patrol Jeffrey Maddrey later told reporters, according to the New York Daily News.

Hardy further allegedly threatened to “change the government” by “blow[ing] up” the world, police said.

“He clearly stated that he was going to blow the head off of the first police officers that he saw,” Chief Maddrey said, according to the New York Post. “A short time later he made another 911 call and he basically reiterated the same thing.”

Officers responded to the area of 205-17 116th Avenue in Cambria Heights and parked their vehicles a short distance away from Hardy’s residence before they made their way to his home on foot, Chief Maddrey said.

They arrived at the scene with their guns drawn, he noted.

A short while later, Hardy came out of the house, refused to show his hands, and ignored the officers’ commands, according to the chief.

He then allegedly opened fire on the officers, six of whom fired back, the New York Post reported.

“There was a high volume of rounds fired tonight, probably north of 100,” Chief Maddrey confirmed.

The chief said no officers were hit during the exchange of gunfire, but several officers were treated for high blood pressure, trauma, and ringing in their ears, according to the New York Daily News.

Officers attempted life-saving measures before the suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the New York Post reported.

“We never want our officers to use their firearms, but they were placed in a position where they were met with deadly physical force and they had to return with deadly physical force,” Chief Maddrey said, according to the New York Daily News.

“This just shows you the commitment and dedication of New York City police officers and law enforcement worldwide,” he added.

Sources said Hardy has been arrested for domestic violence incidents multiple times in the past, the New York Post reported.

His cousin, Brian Ware, said he “never knew him to have any guns,” according to the news outlet.

Reporters asked New York Mayor Eric Adams on Sunday whether or not he believed the fatal officer-involved shooting was justified, the New York Post reported.

“Heck yes!” Adams declared. “This guy was a bad guy… when you listen to those [911] tapes, it’s clear. He had one role he wanted to accomplish, and they terminated that role, and that’s really, I think it’s commendable.”

The mayor further defended the decision to send law enforcement officers to deal with Hardy instead of mental health professionals, the New York Post reported.

“It would be irresponsible if we would have sent civilians to respond to that,” he said. “This gentleman was very clear on what his actions were going to be.”

Adams said the officers were forced to act – regardless of Hardy’s potential mental health issues, WNYW reported.

“When a police officer responds to a scene, they don’t have the individual’s medical records. He doesn’t know he is dealing with someone in a mental crisis,” the mayor told reporters. “They go with the information in front of them. In front of them, they had an individual with a gun willing to use that gun. And they took appropriate action.”

Approximately one hour after the encounter with Hardy, another suspect opened fire on police during a traffic stop in downtown Brooklyn, the New York Post reported.

That attack occurred after an NYPD officer stopped a vehicle with multiple passengers near Nevins Street and Flatbush Avenue for traffic violations at approximately 7:40 p.m.

Police spoke with the occupants of the vehicle for nearly 10 minutes, then asked them all to step out of the car, the New York Post reported.

But one of the passengers, later identified as Malik Williams, jumped out and took off running down Flatbush Avenue, triggering a foot pursuit, according to police.

When he reached the area of Lafayette Avenue and Rockwell Place, Williams suddenly spun around and opened fire at the officer who was chasing after him, Maddrey said.

The officer immediately returned fire, hitting the gunman in the chest.

A witness captured the incident in a cell phone video.

Investigators said they recovered Williams’ gun at the scene, the New York Post reported.

The officer was not hit during the exchange of gunfire.

Williams was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Adams praised the officer who defended himself by shooting Williams, the New York Post reported.

“This guy turns around and discharges a shot at that officer. That officer was able to discharge his firearm and terminate a threat,” the mayor told reporters on Sunday. “I stopped by the 88[th Precinct] to see our officer and just really thank him…He’s a real hero.’’

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."