• Search

Minneapolis Police Find Dead Body In Pawn Shop Burned During Riots

Minneapolis, MN – Minneapolis police recovered a dead body on Monday inside the burned out hull of a pawn shop that was set on fire during the George Floyd riots and declared the death a homicide.

Police were working with agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division to investigate the death of what is believed to be an adult male victim, KARE reported.

The building on East Lake Street where the body was found housed Max It Pawn and was set ablaze during the riots in the day immediately after 46-year-old George Floyd died in the custody of the Minneapolis police on May 25.

Investigators found the victim’s body after responding to an anonymous tip, WGN reported.

Hundreds of businesses were destroyed by violent riots that included looting, vandalism, and destructive fires all over the city.

Minneapolis Police Spokesman John Elder said that police had already charged a 25-year-old male suspect on June 8 in connection with the fire at Max It Pawn, according to WGN.

His identity has not been released.

The identity of the victim has been withheld and will be released later by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office, KARE reported.

The federal government recently turned down a request from Minnesota Governor Tim Walz to declare his state a “major disaster” to qualify them for federal help rebuilding.

Walz wrote in his request for assistance that initial preliminary damage estimates directly related to the fires totaled about $15 million, KSTP reported.

The governor asked President Trump to “declare a major disaster for the State of Minnesota because of extensive fire damage to public infrastructure caused by civil unrest,” according to the Southwest Minneapolis Patch.

The request for federal aid said that at least 1,500 businesses in Minneapolis and St. Paul had suffered looting, fires, and vandalism totaling more than $500 million, KSTP reported.

But the federal government declined the governor’s request and responded that “the impact to public infrastructure is within the capabilities of the local and state governments to recover from,” the Southwest Minneapolis Patch reported.

Walz’s spokesman Teddy Tschann confirmed to KSTP that the governor’s request for support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) had been turned down by the Trump administration.

Tschann said Walz was “disappointed,” according to the Southwest Minneapolis Patch.

“As we navigate one of the most difficult periods in our state’s history, we look for support from our federal government to help us through,” the governor’s spokesman said.

The riots that started after Floyd died on May 25 went on for weeks and quickly spread across the nation.

After the first few nights, during which Minneapolis police were forced to retreat from the 3rd Police Precinct station and rioters burned it down, the governor called out the Minnesota National Guard to help police in the Twin Cities and surrounding communities as violent protesters rioted, looted, and burned both public and private businesses.

Even after the guardsmen arrived, rioters looted and burned a U.S. Post Office in Minneapolis.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."

Sponsored: