• Search

Men Out On Bond For Murder Allegedly Kill Deputy Constable, Get Arrested With His Handcuffs

Houston, TX – Police arrested two suspects who were already out on bond on other murder charges for killing Harris County Precinct 3 Deputy Constable Omar Ursin last month.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 28 on Madera Run Parkway near Lake Houston, KHOU reported.

Harris County Precinct 3 Constable Sherman Eagleton said a 37-year-old deputy constable was off-duty and was out picking up dinner for his family when he was fatally shot while driving near West Lake Middle School.

The deputy constable’s vehicle struck a tree in the median after he was shot, KPRC reported.

Authorities said the gunman fled north on Olympic National Drive in a dark-colored, four-door sedan.

The wounded deputy constable was transported to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez announced on Sept. 9 that 20-year-old Ahsim Taylor, Jr. and 20-year-old Jayland Womack had been taken into custody for the murder of Deputy Constable Ursin, KHOU reported.

Deputies used Deputy Constable Ursin’s handcuffs to arrest one of his alleged killers, according to a Facebook post by Harris County Precinct 3 Constable Sherman Eagleton.

Court documents showed Taylor and Womack were both out on $75,000 bonds in connection with other murder cases when they fatally shot the off-duty deputy constable, KHOU reported.

Womack is facing murder charges in connection with a robbery in northeast Houston in 2021.

Taylor is charged with capital murder in connection with a deadly 2021 car sale meet-up, KHOU reported.

Detectives have not yet determined a motive for the shooting of Deputy Constable Ursin.

“The reason for the shooting is unknown. We don’t know if it’s road rage. We don’t know if it has to do with him being law enforcement,” Harris County Sheriff’s Sergeant Dennis Wolford told reporters shortly after the deputy constable’s murder. “We are still trying to determine that, but we are asking for the public’s help.”

Taylor and Womack appeared in Harris County court on Monday morning, KPRC reported.

Prosecutors said that Harris County Sheriff’s Office investigators tracked down GPS records that showed Taylor and Woman were both in the area at the time witnesses heard gunshots.

Then, 30 minutes after the shooting, security video from a Shell gas station showed Womack get out of the vehicle and go inside the store, according to prosecutor.

Prosecutors said the passenger never got out of the car Womack was driving but GPS data put Taylor in the vicinity of the Shell station at the same time, KPRC reported.

Then the GPS data showed both men went to their homes.

“The GPS monitoring system showed them at the scene of the murder not at home, job or with their family,” Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg said.

On Sept. 12, bond for Taylor was set at $2 million and bond for Womack was set at $1 million, KPRC reported.

Both men are due back in court on Friday and prosecutors plan to try to have them held without bond at that time.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."