• Search

Man Who Killed Juvenile Sister’s Rapist In Prison Gets Sentenced To 25 Years

Spokane County, WA – A man who killed his little sister’s rapist in prison has been sentenced to 25 years for the crime.

The incident occurred on June 2, 2020 inside the Airway Heights Corrections Center where 70-year-old child rapist Robert Munger was serving a 43-year prison sentence for child molestation, FOX News reported.

Shane Goldsby, 26, was booked into the correctional facility to serve time for stealing a law enforcement vehicle, leading police on a long chase that ended when he crashed in a state trooper’s vehicle and injured him, KHQ reported.

Goldsby said that shortly after he was put into his cell, he realized that Munger was the same child molester who had raped his little sister years earlier.

He told KHQ that Munger had bragged to him about what he did to his sister.

“I had so much stuff going on in my head,” Goldsby said. “I wasn’t stable at that point. I wasn’t. I was getting to that point, because [Munger] kept wanting to give me details about what happened, what he did – about the photos and the videos of him doing this stuff. It was building up.”

Court documents showed that Goldsby later attacked Munger in a common area of the state prison and “[hit] Munger in the face and head area about 14 times, (stomped) on his head at least four times and (kicked) a couple more times before walking away and being taken into custody by Airway Heights Corrections Guards,” KHQ reported.

Munger died in the hospital a few days later.

Goldsby said he had asked to be moved to a different cell, but corrections officers ignored him.

He told KHQ that he believed law enforcement officers had set him up because he had stolen a police car and injured a trooper.

“I completely humiliated the police,” Goldsby said.

The Washington State Patrol launched an investigation to determine how Goldsby had ended up in the same cell with the man who sexually abused his little sister, The Spokesman-Review reported.

The investigation determined that there was nothing that could have been done to prevent it because Goldsby and his sister had different last names.

Corrections staff denied that Goldsby had ever asked for a cell change and said staff at the prison knew nothing about the connection to Munger until after he was attacked, according to The Spokesman-Review.

The Washington Department of Corrections said all protocols had been following during the time that lead up to Goldsby’s fatal attack on Munger.

Judge Maryann Moreno sentenced Goldsby to 25 years in prison in accordance with a plea deal that prosecutors said ensured Munger’s wife would no longer be alive to see her husband’s killer released, The Spokesman-Review reported.

Victoria Lynn Blumhorst, Goldsby’s attorney, read a statement at the sentencing on her client’s behalf because he was too overcome with emotion.

“I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a loved one in this kind of way,” the statement read. “To his wife and his whole family I apologize. I am so sorry and I hope you are able to heal from what I caused.”

Blumhorst told the judge before sentencing that Goldsby had been through 10 different foster homes after he was rescued from a drug-addicted mother who sometimes chained him outside like an animal, The Spokesman-Review reported.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."