• Search

Man Gunned Down In Front Of Philly Jail After His Release

Philadelphia, PA – A 20-year-old man Philadelphia man who had just been released from jail was gunned down in front of the correctional facility early on Thursday morning.

The incident occurred at about 2 a.m. on March 18 in front of the Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility in Holmesburg, WCAU reported.

About 45 minutes earlier, Rodney Hargrove was released from the jail, and he was waiting out front for his ride to pick him up, according to Philadelphia Prisons Commissioner Blanche Carney.

Commissioner Carney said Hargrove had been dropped off at a bus stop across the street from the jail, and had called a family member to come get him, WCAU reported.

She said Hargrove may have spotted the person in the dark-colored vehicle because he fled across the street and back across the correctional facility campus.

The commissioner said that Hargrove ran past the entrance gate where a guard is usually posted and the vehicle followed him, WPVI reported.

Commissioner Carney said the vehicle pursued Hargrove through an open gate onto jail property, WCAU reported.

Investigators said that a correctional officer in a nearby guard post heard the gunfire and saw the suspect vehicle fleeing the scene.

Hargrove was shot to death near a shack near the main gate of the jail campus, WCAU reported.

He suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his torso, chest, and arms, WPVI reported.

Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said officers responded to the jail on State Road after as many as 10 gunshots were reported, WCAU reported.

“It appears that the shooter or shooters were in very close proximity to this 20-year-old victim when the shots were fired,” Insp. Small said.

There is no surveillance video of the bus stop but authorities were checking the correctional facility’s other surveillance cameras for possible clues, WCAU reported.

Online court records showed that Hargrove was arrested and jailed on March 11 on theft and weapons charges, WCAU reported.

Commissioner Carney said Hargrove didn’t have any altercations with anyone inside the facility while he was incarcerated and he was never in protective custody.

She said the investigation into the shooting was ongoing, WCAU reported.

The commissioner said they would also investigate why the guard shack at the entrance wasn’t occupied and why that gate was open.

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."