• Search

Man Enters Sheriff’s Office Restroom Then Stabs Two Deputies

A man who claimed Charles Manson was after him stabbed two Douglas County deputies.

Douglasville, GA – A parolee call 911 multiple times from the restroom of the sheriff’s department on Wednesday before he stabbed two deputies and was fatally shot.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that 32-year-old Justin Oakes first entered the lobby of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office at about 10:25 p.m. on Tuesday night.

At least one Douglas County deputy and one radio operator talked to him and gave him some water, according to Douglas County Sheriff’s Sergeant Jesse Hambrick.

Oakes, who was released from prison on parole in February of 2017 and had a history of mental illness, went into the restroom off the lobby at around 2 a.m. and started making numerous 911 calls, police said.

“I’m dealing with Charles Manson here in Douglas County. He’s trying to kill me. I’m fighting,” Oakes said during a 911 call released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).

He told the 911 operator he was being poisoned, among other things, WSB-TV reported.

“I’m fighting for my life. They got radiation in the damn room where they’re about to blow my back out. I need Atlanta police to come down quick. I’m fightin’ for my life. I’m in Douglasville jail and they’re trying to kill me,” Oakes told the operator.

About 15 minutes after the 911 calls began, two deputies went to check on Oakes and found that he had barricaded himself in the restroom, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The deputies pushed their way into the restroom and Oakes greeted them with a knife, police said.

First they tried to tase Oakes, but he kept moving in their direction with a knife and attacked them, according to the GBI.

One deputy shot Oakes to stop him.

“The deputy [did] what he was trained to do,” Douglas County Sheriff Tim Pounds said.

Sheriff Pounds said both deputies had been stabbed, and that one deputy had been stabbed twice.

The incident was captured on the deputy’s bodycam, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Sheriff Pounds said he had reviewed the video and the deputy was left no other choice but to shoot Oakes.

“He was very, very upset earlier,” the sheriff told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “No one wants to do that. But when he’s forced to do it, then you have no alternative.”

Both deputies were transported to the hospital, treated for their injuries, and released.

Police have not released the names of the deputies who were attacked.

AndrewBlake - May Thu, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."