• Search

Man Arrested For Attacking NYPD Chief Gets Released Without Bail

New York, NY – The man accused of assaulting the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) highest-ranking uniformed officer during a “unity” march on the Brooklyn Bridge Wednesday was arrested and then released without bail on Thursday.

Police said that 25-year-old Quran Campbell struck NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan in the face multiple times when the chief was trying to arrest him after he had already injured a lieutenant and another officer, the New York Post reported.

Chief Monahan said he only suffered bruises and jammed fingers despite earlier reports his finger had been broken.

Campbell was charged with assault on a police officer but was released without bail following his arraignment, FOX News reported.

Police also arrested 25-year-old Banks Shaborn after he viciously attacked NYPD Lieutenant Robert Mack and struck him multiple times in the face, the New York Post reported.

Lt. Mack, who is a member of the NYPD’s Strategic Response Group, sustained serious injuries as a result of the attack by Shaborn and Campbell.

Both of the lieutenant’s orbital bones were broken and he required 12 stitches to close up gashes on his face, the New York Post reported.

Police said Shaborn had a Taser in his pocket and a folding knife in his shoe when he attacked the police officials.

Shaborn is facing charges for assault on a police officer and criminal possession, the New York Post reported.

He was held on a $10,000 bail.

The entire melee was captured on video by surveillance cameras mounted on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The incident occurred when “Defund the Police” protesters from City Hall tried to cross over to the Brooklyn Bridge and crossed paths with a pro-police “Stop the Violence” demonstration, WABC reported.

Chief Monahan, Lt. Mack, and a sergeant from the chief’s office were marching with the pro-police clergy group.

When protesters jumped into traffic lanes, Chief Monahan and the others moved to take him into custody, according to WABC.

The video showed that numerous protesters tried to intervene and prevent officers from making an arrest.

One protester with a pipe or large stick reached over the fence and whacked one of the white-shirted officials on the shoulder and head, the video showed.

The video showed the sergeant unholstered his Taser and pointed it at the growing crowd on the walkway above them just as the other two officials pulled the resisting suspect free from the fence and walked him to a waiting police car.

An NYPD spokesman said that Chief Monahan’s finger was broken when he was struck with an object during the incident, the New York Post reported.

Lt. Mack and the sergeant were transported to the hospital in need of stitches afterwards, WABC reported.

A fourth officer was also hurt in an unrelated altercation during the protest.

NYPD posted pictures to its official Twitter account that showed multiple police officials bleeding from the head after attacks by violent protesters, WABC reported.

Police made 36 arrests during the July 15 protest, all of whom appeared to be part of the “Occupy City Hall” group.

None of the people arrested were part of the “Stop the Violence” rally calling for an end to gun violence, WABC reported.

On Thursday, surveillance video from outside City Hall was released that appeared to show anti-police protesters getting a trunk full of baseball bats delivered to them on Wednesday morning shortly before they headed onto the Brooklyn Bridge to create mayhem.

The video showed a man with a four-door sedan parked next to the “Defund the Police” protest area in front of City Hall.

A man popped the trunk open on the sedan while two protesters waited for him on the other side of a barricade fence.

Then the video showed one of the men climbed over the fence and stood beside the trunk while the first man loaded his arms with supplies from the trunk.

The men handed something over the barricade to the third man who ran off screen to deliver it to somebody and then returned, the video showed.

When the first man walked away with his arms full, the video showed the man who opened the trunk started pulling baseball bats out of it and leaning them against the fence inside the protest area.

That’s when the first man who left with supplies returned to the car, the video showed.

The man at the trunk handed the man inside the protest area at least four baseball bats and the man sprinted off, ostensibly to distribute them to other protesters.

Police sources told the New York Post the bats were delivered to the protesters for the purposes of disrupting a peaceful “unity” march over the Brooklyn Bridge on July 15.

Chief Monahan said the two men arrested were both members of an “anarchist group that has been infiltrating this Black Lives movement since the beginning.”

“This is what we dealt with since the first protest after George Floyd,” he continued. “It is a legitimate movement, but it is being hijacked by these anarchists, and they are the ones that have been attacking our police officers [and] are out hiding behind the many, many peaceful protesters that are out there.”

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."