• Search

Just In Time, Cops Track Down Man Live-Streaming Suicide Attempt

Rock Hill police were able to intervene and stop a man who was posting his suicide attempt on Facebook Live.

Rock Hill, SC – Several Rock Hill Police Department officers have been credited with saving the life of a man who had planned to film his suicide attempt on Facebook Live.

Police were called at 11 p.m. on May 30 by a woman who reported that a man in his 20s wanted to hurt himself after he was evicted from his girlfriend’s apartment, WJZY reported.

Officers responded to the Brittany Place apartments at 1890 Cathedral Mills Lane but the man in distress had already left, according to Rock Hill Sergeant Cedric Stokes.

Shortly thereafter, police were notified by Facebook and 911 callers that the man was attempting to livestream his suicide by hanging, The Herald reported.

Facebook was able to track the location of the man’s phone, which showed he was only a few blocks away. The information was given to police dispatchers who relayed it to the officers in the field, according to The Herald.

Police were able to tell from the images on Facebook Live that the man was hiding in the woods.

Rock Hill Officers Justin Cook, Robert Zike, Luke Denton and Sean Sercu searched the area with Sergeants Cedric Stokes and Bruce Haire.

“On his Facebook stream I think he said there were too many cops in the area so he actually saw us out there looking for him,” Sgt. Stokes told WJZY.

Sgt. Haire spotted the man and was able to take him into custody with the help of other units, The Herald reported.

“We just talked to him, tried to calm him down, and were able to put him in protective custody,” Sgt. Haire said.

Officers found towels tied together inside a book bag the man was carrying, and said they believed the man had planned to hang himself, WJZY reported.

“The fast action of the officers involved, and following through with Facebook, appears to have saved this man’s life,” Rock Hill Police Department Captain Mark Bollinger told The Herald.

Police transported the man, whose name has not been released, to Piedmont Medical Center for evaluation and treatment, according to The Herald.

AndrewBlake - June Fri, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."