Santa Fe, NM – New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced on Wednesday that she will be stepping aside from prosecuting the involuntary manslaughter case against Alec Baldwin and said that she has appointed two new special prosecutors to handle the matter.
The special prosecutor originally assigned to the case, Andrea Reeb, stepped down from the job on March 14, FOX News reported.
Jason Lewis and Kari Morrissey have taken over the role, Carmack-Altwies confirmed on March 29.
“My responsibility to the people of the First Judicial District is greater than any one case, which is why I have chosen to appoint a special prosecutor in the ‘Rust’ case,” the district attorney said, according to FOX News. “Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis will unflinchingly pursue justice in the death of Halyna Hutchins on behalf of the people of First Judicial District.”
Carmack-Altwies said she will continue to “focus on the broader public safety needs in New Mexico’s First Judicial District” while Morrissey and Lewis focus their attention on the high-profile case against Baldwin.
“Carmack-Altwies will continue her record of prosecuting drunken drivers, collaborating with local law enforcement, increasing diversion efforts and securing convictions against the most dangerous and prolific offenders,” her spokesperson, Heather Brewer, said in a statement to FOX News.
“Morrissey’s and Lewis’ extensive experience and trial expertise will allow the state to pursue justice for Halyna Hutchins and ensure that in New Mexico everyone is held accountable under the law,” Brewer added.
Baldwin and former “Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed both face two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the fatal on-set shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
They face up to 18 months in prison if they are convicted.
Prosecutors dropped the gun enhancement charges against the pair last month, which carried a potential prison sentence of five years.
Baldwin, who fatally shot Hutchins on the set of the film on Oct. 21, 2021, has denied responsibility for her death.
He insisted during an interview with ABC News in late 2021 that he “didn’t pull the trigger” of the “prop” gun he was holding when it discharged and fatally shot the 42-year-old cinematographer.
The 64-year-old actor said he has “no idea” how the fatal incident occurred.
But according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) forensic report, the .45 Colt caliber F.lli Pietta single-action revolver Baldwin was holding at the time of the fatal shooting could not have fired without someone pulling the trigger, ABC News reported.
The film’s producer, Joel Souza, was also wounded by the bullet that killed Hutchins.
“Rust” is due to resume filming this spring at the Yellowstone Filming Ranch in Montana with Baldwin as the lead actor, FOX News reported.