• Search

Impaired Driver Traveling 130 MPH Turns Right Into Police Barracks After Refusing To Pull Over

Concord, NH – A drunken suspect who fled from police at speeds of 130 miles per hour mistakenly drove right into the New Hampshire State Police (NHSP) barracks while attempting to evade arrest on Thursday night, according to investigators.

The incident began at approximately 10:23 p.m. on June 22, when a NHSP trooper assigned to the Troop D Barracks spotted a vehicle traveling on Interstate 93 northbound in Bow at speeds of 109 miles per hour, the NHSP said in a press release the following day.

Investigators said the driver, later identified as 24-year-old Massachusetts resident Gabriel Lima, was also “swerving erratically.”

The trooper attempted to pull Lima over on the Interstate 89 northbound ramp, but the driver refused to stop and stomped on the accelerator, according to the NHSP.

Lima allegedly reached speeds of 130 miles per hour as he fled from the trooper.

The trooper didn’t initiate a chase, but noted that the suspect left the interstate via Exit 2 and headed into Concord.

The trooper ultimately lost sight of the vehicle.

A short while later, a second trooper noticed a vehicle parking on the side of the road near the NHSP Troop D barracks just before the driver shut off his lights, according to the press release.

“The trooper quickly realized that it was the vehicle that had just fled,” state police said.

When Lima saw the trooper, he tried to speed off and ended up turning into the state police barracks, according to investigators.

“It appeared, however, that the operator then saw the State Police sign and realized where he was,” the NHSP said. “He turned back out of the parking lot and another attempt was made to stop the vehicle. Once again, the vehicle did not stop, and a pursuit ensued.”

Police said Lima continued to drive “erratically” at various speeds as he attempted to escape, to include crossing a median twice.

He ultimately hit a concrete curb on Manchester Street in Concord, then crashed on the Merrimack River Bridge.

Lima was subsequently apprehended and transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

Investigators said the suspect did not crash into any other vehicles during the incident.

Lima has been charged with two felony counts of reckless conduct, three counts of misdemeanor aggravated DUI, disobeying an officer, operating without a license, and two counts of crossing a median.

His arraignment is scheduled to take place in Merrimack County Superior Court on July 20.

The NHSP’s investigation into the incident remained ongoing.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."