• Search

Hero Down: U.S. CBP Trainee Wolf Valmond Murdered In Off-Duty Altercation

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trainee Wolf Valmond's law enforcement career began in 2011.

St. Simons Island, GA – U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trainee Wolf Valmond was fatally shot during an off-duty altercation outside a bar early Sunday morning.

Trainee Valmond, 37, also served as a law enforcement officer in the Norfolk, Virginia area for eight years prior to leaving in October to join the CBP, according to WAVY.

The incident occurred shortly after midnight at Rafters bar in the Pier Village, The Brunswick News reported.

According to investigators, Trainee Valmond and 27-year-old Calvin Jenkins began arguing and shoving one another inside the bar.

They then headed outside, and Jenkins went to his vehicle and allegedly grabbed a gun.

He fired “multiple times” at Trainee Valmond, who was hit twice, police said.

Trainee Valmond ran up the street in an attempt to escape from his attacker, but ultimately collapsed.

He was rushed to Southeast Georgia Health System’s Brunswick Hospital, were he was pronounced dead, The Brunswick News reported.

Jenkins was apprehended and has been charged with murder, according to WAVY.

A second suspect, 25-year-old Naasir Kurmue, has been charged with simple battery for allegedly punching Trainee Valmond in the back of the head during the brawl with Jenkins, the Glynn County Police Department (GCPD) said in a press release on Monday afternoon.

The altercation was captured by security cameras, and is being reviewed as part of the GCPD’s ongoing investigation into Trainee Valmond’s death.

Department of Homeland Security public affairs spokesperson Rob Brisley said that Trainee Valmond joined the CBP in November, The Brunswick News reported.

He was assigned to the Baltimore Field Office, and was attending the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center’s CBP Field Operations Academy in Glynn County at the time of his death.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our thoughts are with Valmond’s family, friends and fellow classmates during this difficult time,” Brisley told The Brunswick News.

Trainee Valmond’s law enforcement career began in July of 2011, when he was hired as a deputy with the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office (NSO), WAVY reported.

“It is with a very heavy heart we received the news of the completely senseless murder of Wolf Valmond,” Norfolk Sheriff Joe Baron wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday. “He served honorably with the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office, then the Norfolk Police Department, and had recently joined Federal Law enforcement.”

Sheriff Baron said that Trainee Valmond “always had a smile for everyone he encountered,” and that he was “always ready to serve and protect.”

“He will be missed by all who knew him, but he is a great loss to our community and our nation as someone who stood the line to keep us all safe,” the sheriff wrote.

Trainee Valmond left NSO in January of 2015, and began serving the Norfolk Police Department (NPD), WAVY reported.

“During his career with the Norfolk Police Department, Wolf was assigned to the public housing communities in the First Patrol Division,” the police department said in a statement. “For those that had the pleasure of working closely with Wolf, you can’t help but remember his unwavering enthusiasm and dedication to serve and support the citizens of Norfolk.”

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Wolf’s wife, daughter, and family as they mourn this sudden and tragic loss,” the NPD said.

A fundraising campaign established to help Trainee Valmond’s family in the wake of his murder has raised over $16,000.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trainee Wolf Valmond, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Rest easy, hero. We’ll hold the line from here.

Holly Matkin - December Tue, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."