• Search

Hero Down: Providence Police Sgt. Edmond ‘Eddie’ Malloy Succumbs To Cancer

Providence Police Department Sergeant Edmond “Eddie” Malloy served his department for nearly three decades.

Providence, RI – Providence Police Department (PPD) Sergeant Edmond “Eddie” Malloy died on Thursday after fighting a five-year battle with Stage IV liver cancer.

The 51-year-old sergeant first realized his health was in jeopardy in October of 2014, as he was participating in a motorcade that was escorting then-President Barack Obama from Warwick to Providence, WPRI reported.

Along the way, Sgt. Malloy felt a stabbing pain in the side of his abdomen, but continued to ride his motorcycle until the President’s 13-mile journey was complete.

“That’s Ed. Always finishes the job,” his wife, Ellie, told WPRI in July.

“When Obama landed, the pain I had, I felt like someone shot me,” Sgt. Malloy explained.

When the motorcade concluded, so did the officer’s steely resolve.

“I parked my motorcycle, and I collapsed forward on the bike,” he told WPRI. “I remember grabbing one officer’s hand. I just said to him, ‘Get me to the hospital.’”

The veteran officer soon learned that his liver had ruptured.

He underwent surgery, at which point doctors diagnosed him with late-stage cancer, WPRI reported.

“He said, ‘It’s cancer. It’s incurable, but treatable,’” Sgt. Malloy recalled.

The disease had also spread to his lungs.

Sgt. Malloy said that the “hardest part” of his battle was telling his two children about his diagnosis.

“But we share everything,” he added. “We don’t quit.”

Although the survival rate for Stage IV liver cancer tends to be approximately one year, Sgt. Malloy forged ahead for over five years.

During that time, he continued to serve his department between chemotherapy appointments, and was a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Joint Terrorism Task Force, WPRI reported.

Sgt. Malloy was so committed to his work that he stayed up all night to supervise a SWAT team sniper post during a hostage situation mere hours after he underwent one of his 100 rounds of chemotherapy, the Providence Journal reported.

“That’s who he is,” his wife told the paper. “He’s a police officer. He wants to do his duty.”

Rhode Island Hospital chemotherapy nurse Jennifer Renaud said that Sgt. Malloy was the most positive patient she has ever encountered during her 15 years on the job, the Providence Journal reported.

“He’s the strongest man I’ve ever met,” Renaud told the paper.

Sgt. Malloy was also heavily involved in the Lifespan Cancer Institute’s annual run, which is now known as the “Malloy Strong Fund,” the Providence Journal reported.

“He’s strong and brave,” said Sgt. Malloy’s oncologist, Dr. Howard Safran. “He inspires us all.”

Sgt. Malloy was surrounded by his friends, family members, and fellow law enforcement officers when he passed away at Rhode Island Hospital on Thursday evening, the Providence Journal reported.

Just hours earlier, the PPD promoted him to the rank of sergeant, according to WPRI.

Sgt. Malloy, the son of a Providence police officer, served his department for nearly three decades, according to WJAR.

His son followed in his footsteps and is a current member of the department, WPRI reported.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Providence Police Department Sergeant Edmond “Eddie” Malloy, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Rest easy, hero. We’ll hold the line from here.

Holly Matkin - November Fri, 2019


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."