• Search

Hero Down: Norfolk Officer Christopher Seth Amos Succumbs To Mysterious Illness

Norfolk Police Officer Christopher "Seth" Amos ran 50 miles each week before he was struck by an unknown illness.

Norfolk, VA – Norfolk Police Officer Christopher “Seth” Amos died on Oct. 19, after battling an unknown illness that affected his ability to breathe.

Officer Amos, 30, appeared to be in great health until early September, when he began complaining that he was struggling to breathe, WAVY reported.

“It started the first of September with really kind of an abscess underneath his gun belt, and from there it quickly evolved into [him] also having trouble breathing,” his father, retired Norfolk Police Officer Chris Amos, told WVEC.

Over a 10-day period, Officer Amos went to the hospital five times, WAVY reported.

But after spending days in intensive care at Sentara Leigh, Officer Amos was rushed to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with collapsed lungs, The Virginian-Pilot reported.

When he arrived, doctors immediately conducted a lifesaving procedure in the intensive care unit, WAVY reported.

“They brought everybody into his room,” his father said. “The doctor came out afterwards and said the procedure went well…[but] that he wouldn’t have survived the trip from the second floor to the third-floor operating room. He had a foot in heaven.”

Doctors ultimately decided to transfer Officer Amos to Inova Fairfax Hospital, which has an organ transplant program, The Virginian-Pilot reported.

On Sep. 20, Officer Amos received a police escort for the emergency trip, making the four to six-hour journey in less than three hours.

When he arrived, doctors discovered problems with his kidneys, which prevented him from immediately being eligible for a lung transplant, WAVY reported.

“He eventually got septic shock, which is an infection that got in his bloodstream, and [it] eventually attacked his entire body,” Officer Amos’ father told WVEC.

“He has fought an epic fight and finished his race,” Chris wrote on a fundraising page established to help with his son’s medical expenses. “Seth has crossed the finish line and has made it to his forever home.”

“Though for a time we will be separated, we know that we will see Seth again,” he said. “Your prayers HAVE NOT been in vain. God has used Seth to touch many lives.”

The cause of Officer Amos’ illness is still unknown.

“They have tested him for everything under the sun with no diagnosis,” his fundraising page said.

Officer Amos served the Norfolk Police Department for nine years, according to his obituary.

“Seth Amos was called home to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,” the Norfolk Police Department said in a Twitter post. “Our love and prayers are with the Amos Family as they mourn and celebrate the time that God gave us with Seth.”

Officer Amos and his high school sweetheart, Stacey, married nine years ago.

“They just had a true, pure, Godly love for each other. They were committed,” Officer Amos’ mother, Ann Marie, told WVEC. “She just feels like she died with him.”

The couple has two sons, ages five and 15 months.

Officer Amos was also a deacon and praise leader at his church, and enjoyed writing songs, according to his obituary.

In addition to his wife, children, and parents, Officer Amos leaves behind his sister, brother, grandparents, and many friends and extended family members.

He will be laid to rest on Friday.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Norfolk Police Officer Christopher “Seth” Amos, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Rest easy, hero. We’ll hold the line from here.

Holly Matkin - October Thu, 2018


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."