• Search

Hero Down: New York State Police Senior Investigator Nicholas ‘Nick’ Georgeadis Dies Of 9/11-Related Cancer

Saratoga Springs, NY – New York State Police (NYSP) Senior Investigator Nicholas “Nick” Georgeadis died in the line of duty on April 28 following a battle against cancer that developed after his service at the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on Sep. 11, 2001.

The 52-year-old investigator passed away at St. Peter’s Hospital with his loved ones by his side, according to his obituary.

The NYSP said Investigator Georgeadis was assigned to the World Trade Center site after the terrorist attacks to aid in search and recovery efforts, The Daily Gazette reported.

He subsequently developed a cancer that stemmed from his work in and around Ground Zero, according to the NYSP.

Investigator Georgeadis played football at Westfield State University in Massachusetts, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and political science, according to his obituary.

He interned with the Massachusetts State Police (MSP) Special Investigations Unit during his senior year of college, and soon discovered he had “a passion for law enforcement,” his family said.

Investigator Georgeadis enlisted in the Army National Guard and served eight years prior to joining the NYSP in 1997.

He devoted 21 years of his life to his law enforcement career before his retirement on Nov. 28, 2018, The Daily Gazette reported.

Investigator Georgeadis spent most of his career serving on the NYSP’s Special Investigation Unit and was most recently assigned to the Office of Counterterrorism.

He received 11 letters of commendation during his service as a trooper and was chosen as NYSP Troop K’s Trooper of the Year in 2003, according to his obituary.

Investigator Georgeadis received seven more letters of commendation during his time as an investigator.

He was named Investigator of the year in 2012 after he successfully completed the undercover purchase of a newborn baby, according to his obituary.

Investigator Georgeadis was serving as the deputy director of the Counterterrorism Unit when he retired due to his work-related illness.

His family said he spent the next five years battling “a rare, aggressive, stage IV cancer attributed to his exposure during his 9/11 World Trade Center assignment.”

He worked in and around the site for 13 weeks.

“Through his strength, hope, humor, and endless grit, Nick courageously battled this cancer against the odds for over five years – All in an effort to be here for his wife and three children who he adored,” his obituary read. “Nick took great pride in his family, was a strong patriot, quick witted, and a friend to many…”

Investigator Georgeadis leaves behind his wife, Amy, as well as his children, Thomas, Alexis, and Austin.

He is also survived by his father, sister, in-laws, nephews, nieces, and friends.

Investigator Georgeadis will be laid to rest on May 5.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of New York State Police Senior Investigator Nicholas “Nick” Georgeadis, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Rest easy, hero. We’ll hold the line from here.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."