Waverly, TN – Humphreys County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) K9 Ciro died in the line of duty on March 3 after a fire erupted in the dashboard of the patrol vehicle he was sitting in.
The incident occurred outside the Humphreys County Courthouse as K9 Ciro’s handler, HCSO Deputy Shaun Gary, was testifying in court, WVLT reported.
“However social Ciro was, he was a bite dog. He was a full patrol dog and he was trained to protect me. I can’t take Ciro into those places without a need,” Deputy Gary later told WKRN.
The deputy said that before heading into the building, he checked the vehicle’s alert system, which “monitors the temperature, all the vehicle operations, [and] the voltage” of the vehicle, according to WKRN.
“In the event of a temperature rise in the car, it sends a page, it sends a text, and then it sends a phone call to my cellphone,” Deputy Gary explained, describing the program as an elaborate system “that generally works very well.”
The deputy was inside the courthouse for just 15 minutes before an electrical short sparked a fire in the patrol vehicle’s dashboard area, WVLT reported.
The flames disabled all of the electronic operations in the vehicle, including the locks and the alarm system.
When Deputy Gary exited the courthouse, he saw smoke billowing from his patrol unit, WKRN reported.
He ran to the vehicle and frantically tried to rescue K9 Ciro by breaking out the glass and using a door ram on the SUV.
“I was going to do everything I could to get him out of that car,” Deputy Gary said, holding back tears. “I couldn’t get to him and it’s like one of your children. I burnt myself and was going to burn myself to get to that dog. That was the hardest thing for me was not being able to get in that car.”
The fire department cut the door open using the jaws of life, but K9 Ciro had already passed away due to smoke inhalation, WKRN reported.
Humphreys County Sheriff Chris Davis said Deputy Gary did everything correctly and described the incident as “a very unfortunate situation” resulting from an equipment failure.
“Ciro was perfect in everything he did; his behavior, his home life, his work life, everything was perfect and we won’t be able to replace him,” Deputy Gary told the news outlet.
He said the loss of the five-year-old German Shepherd has also been devastating for his wife and children.
“It’s going to be hard. We were tight. He is, he was like one of my kids,” the deputy told WKRN.
K9 Ciro served the HCSO for four years.
He was laid to rest on March 5, the department said in a Facebook post.
RIP. K9 Ciro passed away when his handler’s patrol car ignited due to an electrical failure. The unit was parked at the county courthouse while his handler was attending court. #rip #hero #endofwatch #K9Ciro #HumphreysCountySheriffsOffice #lawenforcement #ThinBlueLine pic.twitter.com/4TnnoKfjK6
— Protecting the Blue (@protectingblue) March 4, 2022
Please keep Deputy Shawn Gary and the Humphreys County Sheriff's Office in your thoughts and prayers as they mourn the tragic loss of five year old K9 Ciro. Ciro was killed this morning when his patrol vehicle caught fire. pic.twitter.com/koLa3WiYgA
— ALPHA PRO 🇪🇺🇺🇦 (@DTMsport) March 4, 2022
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Humphreys County Sheriff’s Office and Deputy Gary in the loss of K9 Ciro.