• Search

Hero Down: Fairburn PD Sergeant Jean-Harold Astree Dies In 4-Vehicle Crash

Douglas County, GA – Fairburn Police Department (FPD) Sergeant Jean-Harold Astree died in a four-vehicle crash on Thursday morning, according to city officials.

The 54-year-old sergeant was driving his unmarked Dodge Charger patrol vehicle northbound on Capps Ferry Road just south of Brookcrest Court when the side of his car collided with the side of an oncoming GMC pickup shortly before 8 a.m., a Georgia State Patrol (GSP) spokesperson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The driver behind the wheel of the pickup lost control and crashed into an Audi SUV that was traveling northbound behind Sgt. Astree’s car, the GSP said.

Meanwhile, Sgt. Astree’s Dodge veered into the oncoming lane, where he crashed head-on into a second GMC pickup, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

The drivers and occupants inside the other three vehicles involved in the pileup were transported to the hospital with injuries but are expected to make full recoveries, according to the GSP.

Sgt. Astree succumbed to his injuries at the scene, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

He was off-duty at the time of the wreck, according to police.

The Georgia Department of Public Safety’s Troop D Specialized Collision and Reconstruction Team is handling the ongoing investigation into the collision, WGCL reported.

The FPD announced the beloved sergeant’s death in a press release later the same day.

“The City of Fairburn mourns the loss of our beloved Sergeant Jean-Harold Astree,” the department said. “Sgt. Astree was a decorated officer and a true hero who served the residents and businesses of the City of Fairburn with pride.”

He was also a U.S. Air Force veteran.

“Our officers appreciate the support of the City of Fairburn and the community during this extraordinarily painful time,” FPD Chief James McCarthy said. “We extend our deepest condolences to Sgt. Astree’s family, friends, and fellow officers.”

“We will do all that we can to support them during this painful time,” he added.

Sgt. Astree’s law enforcement career began in 2005, when he joined the Atlanta Police Department (APD), The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

He left the APD three years later and spent time working at other departments, to include joining the FPD in 2011.

Sgt. Astree took a break from law enforcement, but returned to the FPD in April of 2018, according to his department.

“The City is heartbroken due to the tragic loss of Sgt. Astree,” Fairburn Mayor Mario Avery said. “Today our City has lost a hero for public safety and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”

Sgt. Astree leaves behind his wife and children, according to the FPD.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Fairburn Police Department Sergeant Jean-Harold Astree, both blood and blue. Thank you for your service.

Rest easy, hero. We’ll hold the line from here.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."