• Search

Gunman Fired 200 Rounds During Standoff, Wounding Deputy And Civilian

Denton, NC – A gunman shot a veteran Davidson County sheriff’s deputy and a civilian on Wednesday night, leading to a lengthy armed standoff that ended with the suspect being mortally wounded.

The incident began at approximately 9:08 p.m. on May 31, when Davidson County Emergency Communications received a 911 call about a shooting at a home in Denton, the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) said in a press release on Thursday.

First` responders were on their way to the scene when they were advised a gunman had fired into a house, striking someone inside, according to the DCSO.

Deputies arrived at the home and were taking up positions outside when they suddenly came under fire.

A member of the Davidson County Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team (SERT) was wounded in the attack, the sheriff’s office confirmed.

The injured deputy was airlifted to a local hospital as law enforcement officers from multiple agencies flooded the area to assist in apprehending the shooter, according to investigators.

“The suspect continued to fire multiple shots at officers as he attempted to elude officers by changing locations several times throughout the night,” the DCSO said.

The Denton Fire Department issued an alert on Facebook telling citizens in the area of M H Drive and Ebel Road to shelter in place and to secure all windows and doors due to a “very active situation.”

Davidson County Sheriff Richie Simmons said the gunman fired approximately 200 rounds at law enforcement during the incident, causing tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to police equipment, WGHP reported.

“Emergency services had their drone, which is worth approximately $18,000,” Sheriff Simmons said. “He shot that from the sky and also shot down the Davidson County drone. This guy was purposefully trying to destroy everything we had.”

The DCSI said the gunman was “fatally wounded” after “several hours of continued negotiations and containment.”

The suspect’s identity was not immediately released.

The wounded deputy and the civilian who was shot prior to deputies’ arrival at the residence were both treated for their wounds at the hospital, according to the DCSO.

The deputy had been shot in the leg and was recovering at home on Thursday, WGHP reported.

Denton Mayor Larry Ward told Spectrum News he met the shooter on Wednesday morning while working his part-time job at a gun store.

Ward said the man told him he was suffering from leukemia and that he was going to die soon.

“He bought two boxes of bullets for an AR black gun,” the mayor told Spectrum News. “He was very talkative. His wife did not say a word. I spoke to her, said good morning to her. She was like three feet away and did not answer, didn’t say a word. They were a little strange acting.”

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (NCSBI) is handling the ongoing investigation into the fatal officer-involved shooting.

Written by
Holly Matkin

Holly is a former probation and parole officer who is married to a sheriff’s deputy. She is a regular contributor to Signature Montana magazine, and has written feature articles for Distinctly Montana magazine.

View all articles
Written by Holly Matkin


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."