• Search

Gunman Captured After Attempted Assassination Of Tulsa Officers

Tulsa, OK – Police have captured the gunman who shot two Tulsa police officers during a traffic stop for expired tags early on Monday morning.

The arrest affidavit for David Ware said that he was stopped for driving his blue Chevy Cobalt with expired paper tags at about 3:20 a.m. on June 29 near 21st and Memorial, KTUL reported.

Bodycam video showed that when the officers told Ware that his vehicle would have to be towed, he refused to get out of his car and began arguing with the officers and claimed they were violating his rights.

The argument escalated and after three minutes, one of the officers deployed a Taser at Ware, KTUL reported.

But Ware tore out the prongs and kept arguing, according to the affidavit.

So the officer deployed pepper spray at Ware, but still he refused to get out of his car, KTUL reported.

That’s when the officers went hands on and tried to pull the driver out of the vehicle.

Ware fought the officers and reached under the car seat for a gun, KTUL reported.

The affidavit said neither officer realized Ware had a gun until he began shooting at them.

Ware shot each officer three times, according to KTUL.

Then, after both officers were down, Ware stood over one of the wounded officers and shot him three more times, according to the arrest affidavit.

Police said Ware fled the scene and got into a red Jeep SUV, KTUL reported.

KTUL reported that the Tulsa Police Department said it was unlikely either officer would survive his wounds.

A manhunt ensued, with officers from multiple agencies assisting in the search for Ware.

He was captured at about 11 a.m. in the area of 31st and Garnett, KOCO reported.

Police said officers surrounded a home where they believed Ware was located and the suspect surrendered.


The Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) released a statement prior to Ware’s apprehension, KTUL reported.

“Last evening two of our FOP brothers left their families, reported for duty, and were serving and protecting Tulsa when they were shot in cold blood,” Tulsa FOP Chairman of the Board Jerad Lindsey said in the statement. “We are praying for them as they receive the best possible treatment they can under the circumstances.”

“As I’ve spoken with police overnight and into this morning, we can’t help but see the work of the national anti-police narrative here. Enough is enough,” the statement continued. “For these officers and for everyone else on the force leaving their own families today to go selflessly serve others, we must recognize the real impact of anti-police rhetoric and take real action to stop violence against police.”

Written by
Sandy Malone

Managing Editor - Twitter/@SandyMalone_ - Prior to joining The Police Tribune, Sandy wrote the Politics.Net column for the Wall Street Journal and was managing editor of Campaigns & Elections magazine. More recently, she was an internationally-syndicated columnist for Conde Nast (BRIDES), The Huffington Post, and Monsters and Critics. Sandy is married to a retired police captain and former SWAT commander.

View all articles
Written by Sandy Malone


Sign up to our daily newsletter so you don't miss out on the latest events surrounding law enforcement!

Follow Me

Follow us on social media and be sure to mark us as "See First."